The NCGP And Its First ‘Champion’ Respond To Our Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so in other words, the organization is simply smoke and mirrors that intends to pretend it will self-regulate an industry while changing nothing........

almost like i've seen this before somewhere.........

the good news for the profits is that the gov will accept this charade and move on to more pressing matters, like they always do.

I strongly suspect this is just a group of friends with truly good intentions, but some lack of knowledge ('naive').
I would certainly support this group, but they are often prone to corruption in the long term.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the rest of industry employs lobby groups to ensure no law gets made that might impede their profits. gaming industry never had a reason to before now.

not really a surprise they would form such a group as soon as someone is looking into messing with their profits. it's how Washington works.

of course the real answer is for gamers to just stop buying into these schemes. battlefront is a prime example but not the first one. if gamers just refused to buy the half finished bug riddled games, refused to gamble in game and refuse to play pay to win games that you also have to purchase full priced, they'd get the hint quickly.

but until the folks stop pre-ordering games for $100+, then pumping more money into it on gambling boxes, and so on, it wont ever stop. i know many here stop pre-ordering, but if literally no one did that and then refused to buy once early reviews come out explaining it uses such schemes on top of being half finished and littered with bugs........ but alas such fantasies just won't ever happen.....

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012

Not me. Sorry, but I think the naivete is yours. I read self-serving wannabes out to score brownie points by whatever means possible. They have no backing, they have *no* standing. They have no competence. All they can do is scream "Listen to me!"

IMO, this political hack wannabe has gotten 99% of his credibility because of the coverage he's gotten.

@Math Geek: I think the reason there's been little or no regulation is, it's just been too low-key to notice. Yeah, I do remember a few years ago, when a kid ran up a very large tab from IGPs, and that led to some laws about IGPs and minors. But by and large, these have flown under the radar...like poker did. Like daily fantasy did. Until each *exploded* onto our awareness, and after a while, quite a bit of legal consideration.

And even if it is a form of gambling, it may be a form not subject to regulation.

But by and large, I think you're naming the solution. Don't buy the stuff. Beyond that, I would definitely support clearer disclosure of the nature of in-game purchases, and this probably should be codified.

But don't go giving the credit to this clown, if it happens.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
To me it seems more like a "group" of one person looking for some publicity...

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your words, but to be honest your opinion seems pretty much in line with mine. No competence, no backing, no stance. Just some people "wanting" to do something, but with no "means" to do it.

I don't understand what you meant by brownie points, though. Could you please explain? (I am not from the USA, so I might not understand some of the slang)

Status
Not open for further replies.