The new gaming monitor ASUS PG278Q pure awesomeness or over hyped?

Alexius92

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Is this display good or over hyped? At the moment I'm using a dell-u2713hm which I have been really happy with. I play a lot of fast paced games and shooters and there has been so much hype about this dispay and how it decreases motion blur/tearing and is very responsive. They say there's a slight loss in color range compared to my u2713hm IPS monitor.

Other than that they have me very interested. Is the difference for gaming with this monitor really like night and day like they claim or is the difference barely noticeable? With the expensive price tag it is a big investment. I'm really wondering if the upgrade will be worth it.

It seems as if other similar technologies are far from this at least according to Asus and they say there shouldn't be anything like it on the market for quite some time.

What do you guys think?

Solution
In my opinion, and I love gaming monitors. This is a hyped situation. Unless your gpu is not beefy enough and you are getting irritated by screen tearing and it is interrupting your gaming performance. Then g-sync may solve your problem, but in theory... you could just use the money to get a better video card :p Not to mention, in the middle of 2015, the next generation of Displayport will be released as "1.3" and will do the same exact thing that g-sync does. It will eliminate screen tearing/stutter without additional input lag. Hope this explains more and helped you. :)

dovah-chan

Honorable
If you are pleased with what you have then it is definitely not worth it. In my opinion the tech is young and like everything else it's price will be cut in down by about half in 2 years tops. And free sync is more likely to prevail having been accepted by VESA (Is that still a rumor? Someone please fact check me just in case)

It takes a pretty hefty video card or cards for that matter, to get access to some of those extra features in that monitor. The monitor alone won't magically make your gaming better unless you already own some very high end enthusiast hardware.

tmacg55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
In my opinion, and I love gaming monitors. This is a hyped situation. Unless your gpu is not beefy enough and you are getting irritated by screen tearing and it is interrupting your gaming performance. Then g-sync may solve your problem, but in theory... you could just use the money to get a better video card :p Not to mention, in the middle of 2015, the next generation of Displayport will be released as "1.3" and will do the same exact thing that g-sync does. It will eliminate screen tearing/stutter without additional input lag. Hope this explains more and helped you. :)

Solution

strykewave

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
After purchasing this monitor I can tell you there's no hype only pure awesomeness. I had the 24" asus 144hz 1080p monitor that I had gsync installed in later. Big difference. The 1440p makes thinks looks silky smooth and the refresh and gsync keep it running the same. The price tag was high. Only complaint I have with this monitor but if you have the money and want a great monitor then I would recommend this all day long. As far as color range I use nvidias digital vibrance to get my color right and for the most part I have no complaints for what it looks like being its a tn panel. Also you'll need some muscle to push this display nowhere near 4k standards but it helps having some good gpu power. I run 2 780tis in Sli and they don't flinch even with the 3gb VRAM. Hope this helps.