[SOLVED] The newer oled qled tvs

bobbee25

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2016
We watch the tv a lot. TV, youtube, numerous podcasts, plex media, etc etc

Reading about these new 55/60" sets I am wondering if the picture is much better than my 5 year old 55" Samsung.

While my Samsung works, is the improvement in picture quality worth an upgrade ?

Solution
I am concerned in that our viewing sources cover the range from 480p to 1080. Most are 720.

I have a 5 year old Samsung and the videos are descent from all sources.

Looking at the Samsung Q80t, with the higher resolution will it handle the lower sources,
I don't want to loose what we have. I realize that a 720 source won't be as good as a 4K, but will it be as good as I currently have with the older Samsung ?

Considering the screen size of your old TV and the new TV are the same, the visual experience will not change from what you currently have. If you were moving up to a 77" TV then the 720 upscaling would not look as good due to pixel density. I hope that makes sense. The upscaling is done by the TV itself and the newer...
I have two plasma samsung 50/58" tv's and I am hoping one of them dies.
Their picture and performance has been excellent over the years.

But, I recently bought a 48" LG OLED CX tv to be used as a pc monitor.
The picture is stunning and I would like to be able to justify a change.
I have no place to repurpose the Samsungs.

If you can, go to Costco.
Locally, they have a pair running on display at the front door.

Worth ends up being something only YOU can determine.
If you do a lot of TV viewing spend the money.

Have had our LG 65" LG OLED for a few months now. We had an older Samsung UHD lower budget 55" 4k previously.

The picture of the LG is great and is deserving of the high reviews it receives. The viewing angles are stellar and the colors are astounding. Watched Avatar again, wow!

I was on the fence about pulling my 50" plasma and replacing it with the older 4k 55" Samsung. The picture quality of the older Samsung is a toss up vs the plasma. The Samsung has better definition but also has all the banding issues that go along with the LCD's. But I couldn't let the old plasma go because they really do have a good picture, so it went into another room. If you don't have room for the plasma TV people are still eager to purchase them used if the hours are not too high.

I wish I had the budget to get another OLED TV, they are that good!

bobbee25

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2016
I am concerned in that our viewing sources cover the range from 480p to 1080. Most are 720.

Looking at the Samsung Q80t, with the higher resolution will it handle the lower sources,
I don't want to loose what we have. I realize that a 720 source won't be as good as a 4K, but will it be as good as I currently have with the older Samsung ?

My LG C9 65” probably has the best scaling of any TV I have owned and not seen anything that does better. It even does 1440p really well.

Considering the screen size of your old TV and the new TV are the same, the visual experience will not change from what you currently have. If you were moving up to a 77" TV then the 720 upscaling would not look as good due to pixel density. I hope that makes sense. The upscaling is done by the TV itself and the newer processors do a very good job. In fact, the newer models may provide slightly better upscaling as the tech is improved.

To be clear, the Samsung Q80T is still an LCD display. It's a very nice picture but it's not an OLED display. The LCD's tend to be brighter but the blacks suffer due to the backlighting required, this leaves blacks looking more like shades of very dark grey. OLED's don't use backlights so the blacks are truly black, inky true black. So this true black helps to improve the contrast.

I feel ya man, I have tons of old movie DVD's and many are 720p.

The AVS forums will have more info if you want to check them out regarding your questions.

Solution

Reading about these new 55/60" sets I am wondering if the picture is much better than my 5 year old 55" Samsung.

While my Samsung works, is the improvement in picture quality worth an upgrade ?

If it's worth it, you would need to figure out once you compare them.

It's a noticeable difference. If it's worth changing to adding a new TV, that is up to you. If you are using things for 480, 720 which I guess are not high quality videos in the first place, I probably would not bother with changing things till your TV dies.

Going from a fairly modern, 5-year-old 55" television that seems to work fine for you to a newer one roughly similar in size to watch upscaled content seems kind of redundant to me. Is your existing television OLED? What model is it?

Even if a newer television happens to look a bit better, I have some doubts that it will significantly improve your viewing experience. I would probably just wait for the time being, as televisions will likely continue to improve as time goes on, meaning an upgrade a few years from now might offer more of an improvement for your money, and perhaps you will be viewing more 4K/HDR content at that point to better utilize newer features and a larger screen.