The Next Microsoft Surface May Fit in Your Pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

Given that they already have xbox, technically they could spin this device as a gaming hand-held (that can also make phone calls ;))

Windows Phone 8.1+ was a great phone OS, the problem they had was lack of a real flagship phone to generate publicity. Also, if they had found a way to support google app store, they could have really made some headway.

I had a Nokia 822 and loved that phone, it was mid-range but performance was snappy and stable.

When MS decided that they would stick to low end phones only, they pretty much killed their own product.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Martell1977, Windows Phone 7 was a great idea, Windows Phone 8.x and forward killed the ecosystem. They got too greedy and decided to make a locked down iOS clone instead of competing with Android.

Never experienced WP7, my phone came with 8.0, which was Ok. When 8.1 came out, it was a huge upgrade, everything worked better and faster. I don't know exactly what they were doing, but as for the operation of it, it was smooth.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
The reason Windows Phone died with Windows Phone 8 was because Microsoft locked down the user experience too much and they made simple things like side-loading a pain in the rear. The fact that they banned fundamental things like custom keyboards were just some of the nails in the coffin. I liked Windows Phone 7, despite all of its shortcomings, but I don't think Microsoft will get a new chance to get into mobile in a long long time. People seems to remember getting s.....d over for a long time...

Was probably the mentality of the time and probably the same team that had the horrid brain-child of Windows 8 on the desktop and decided that they new more what people wanted better than the people themselves. I'll never forget the start screen that looked like fisher-price puked on the screen.

rdgoodri

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
This is exactly the product i've been waiting for. Hope it comes out soon. Maybe i can replace my second phone finally.

alextheblue

Distinguished
They had flagship phones. Most of them were not on Verizon, especially in any kind of timely fashion, so they weren't on your radar. Big Red and MS did not get along, for starters. Anyway it didn't matter. That wasn't their biggest issue. Lack of what many users saw as "must-have" apps killed it more than every other perceived issue combined. It created a chicken and egg problem.

With that being said, if PWAs take off they won't need to bring as many developers specifically onto their platform. Most apps don't need to be built from the ground up as high-performance native apps. Decently built PWAs work great. The new PWA Twitter app, for example, runs on all PWA-supporting platforms and is coming along pretty well.

For what it's worth I've loved my WM devices. They consistently outlived my family's Android units which after a year or so of updates became sluggish and due for replacement. I'd love a new Win device that offered phone functionality... although I'm not sure if that is exactly what we're looking at here. It could just as easily be a foldable Surface Mini or whatever.

remy721

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
It looks a bit like the GPD Win/Win2 or GPD Pocket, though I expect that it's a full touch screen across both halves, one converting into a touchscreen keyboard when required. An interesting idea, and one that's obviously catching traction, though if it's runs on ARM, I worry about software compatibility and performance, a big issue for Windows users.

I have a nearly three year old Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (5.7" display, now a backup phone only) and Note 8 (6.3" display). I never thought I'd need a stylus to write a memo on, but they are more handy than you'd think. And I'll never again look at a phablet with less than a super AMOLED display with a 2560x1440 or higher resolution. Between Samsung, LG, and Sony out there, I do not understand why MS is stuck on stupid and repeating the same mistakes over and over. A lot of people felt burned by the Windows Phone and it left a bad taste in their mouths. They need to stick to software and consoles where their core business roots. I do miss their PC mice products however, two of which I'm still using that are 10+ years old. My Logitechs wear out much faster.

BillV523

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
So the next laptop might be a cell phone? hmm, soon the magnifying glasses for operating these devices will be much larger than the device

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

It's called Samsung DeX Pad and technically already exists. Yeah, the "magnifier" is an actual keyboard, display and a mouse... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.