The Nvidia Tegra Tablet Rumor Just Won't Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Unless nvidia is not going to release Tegra 5 to OEM's (and keep it for their own branded/sub-branded hardware), this rumor just spells self-cannibalization of their Tegra 4 line, which is a pretty dumb move. With all the time and care they've allegedly taken on T4, I can't fathom that they'll rush a T5 release in Q1 2014 when T4 isn't going to be in mainstream devices until near the end of Q3 2013. This would leave little time to milk all the investment they've made.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

T4 is being adopted by many device manufacturers. But the thing is that the chip wasn't going to be available from Nvidia to OEMs until the end of Q2 this year despite a whole lot of talk about T4 from nvidia for many months.

It just feels like it's been available for a long time; except it hasn't.

I still think the T4 is going to be a flop in the grand scheme of things. Nvidia has not demonstrated that it can deliver the technical performance under a thermal dissipation and power-limited environment like a tablet or phone. Plus, the T4i is the more-likely part for phones, and it's a glorified T3 in many ways. I would say closer to a T3 than a T4, but that's yet to be seen. Plus, Qualcomm hasn't slowed their advancement, and has established a strong presence. Their advantage has been fast refreshes without the blunders that Nvidia has made from the original tegra through the T3.

I await real-device benchmarks for the T4, and the dumb Shield doesn't count.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
You hate to see Nvidia give up on T4 but how are they going to catch Big Q? T4 was suppose to be out months ago (to the masses). Honestly, I would be shocked if Nvidia and Fabs can get the Tegra 5 out in Q1 to OEMs..... Tegra Tablet(s)... whatever.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Um if I wanted a Tegra Tablet, I would jsut the one offered by ASUS. The TF770t has been available w/ the TEGRA3 or over a year and that's why I own it.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Right...but what if Nvidia keeps the T5 (and its advancements over the T4) for their own tablets. Only way to get the more-advanced Tegra is to buy one of their tablets. I'm not saying that this will definitely happen, but I could see how it might occur to Nvidia, assuming this release timetable is accurate (which I doubt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS