[SOLVED] The ole girl gave up the ghost... I think

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Here is my current rig... from PC part picker... https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jmacintosh/saved/#view=Fx4scf

OS - Windows Pro 7

CPU - Stock Speed
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Corsair H80i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard - Stock Speed
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-2133 CL11 Memory

Video Card - Stock Speed
XFX Radeon R9 280X 3 GB DD Video Card

Power Supply
Corsair CXM 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Last night I was multi tasking and the screen got funny, and the most obvious cause was some type of failure on the video card. Took it out cleaned it. Put it back in and it would seem the fans aren't running. I had this list on my old PC part Picker account, so I looked it up and apparently there are still alot of cards compatible with the mobo. The specs are as follows...

Specifications
Manufacturer

XFX
Part #
R9-280X-TDFD
Chipset
Radeon R9 280X
Memory
3 GB
Memory Type
GDDR5
Core Clock
850 MHz
Boost Clock
1000 MHz
Interface
PCIe x16
Color
Black / Silver
SLI/CrossFire

• 4-way CrossFire Capable
  • 3-way CrossFire Capable
  • 2-way CrossFire Capable
Frame Sync
None
Length
295 mm
TDP
250 W
DVI Ports
HDMI Ports
Mini-HDMI Ports
DisplayPort Ports
Mini-DisplayPort Ports
Expansion Slot Width
Cooling
2 Fans
External Power
1 PCIe 8-pin + 1 PCIe 6-pin
HDMI
DVI-I Dual-Link
DVI-D Single-Link
Mini-Display Port

----------------------------------------------------------------

here's the question... the rest of the system seems to run fine. I run dual 27 BENQ 2730Z's. I do some gaming... EVE, iRacing, an older FPS here or there. I can grab another GPU compatible with the board, but the list is limited... here is my last pcpartpicker search of their list...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/v...296,8589934592&i=39&L=69000000,292000000&Q=11

I'm hoping I don't have to go the route of starting over with mobo chip ram and gpu.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I was pretty satisfied with how the system was performing. I was considering upgrading the RAM. There was a nice DDR3 (corrected from DDR4) 3200 option for only $120 from Gskill that would double my RAM.

Last edited:
Solution
A better alternative is the seasonic 750 on sale at newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-foc...r-750px-750w/p/N82E16817151191?quicklink=true

As to your current issue, try using the motherboard graphics.
If that works, the graphics card may well have failed.
Of your list, the 6600XT would seem to be the best purchase.

Tom's gpu hierarchy chart will give you a reltive ranking of graphics cards:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I might add that aio coolers do not last forever. In time air will...
D

Deleted member 14196

LOL, I read the title as having something to do with Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) when I was scanning the titles for interesting bits

on topic I second that call for a better quality psu as well
oh and get good 1tb SSD like a Crucial MX500 to run windows and boot from, use the HDD as storage

A better alternative is the seasonic 750 on sale at newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-foc...r-750px-750w/p/N82E16817151191?quicklink=true

Tom's gpu hierarchy chart will give you a reltive ranking of graphics cards:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I might add that aio coolers do not last forever. In time air will intrude, requiring a replacement.
Yours may be well past it's prime.
If you need to replace it, $50 or so for a noctua NH-U12s redux would perform equally well.

Solution

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005

I might add that aio coolers do not last forever. In time air will intrude, requiring a replacement.
Yours may be well past it's prime.
If you need to replace it, $50 or so for a noctua NH-U12s redux would perform equally well.

Thanks for the help! I was able to get the system to start back up after the card cooled back down. I had run an Nvidia monitoring program and I could watch the temp climb and I noticed the fans weren't spinning up. I thought that was rather unusual, so I believe the card may have failed as you have pointed out.

You know, I build a system for myself only every so often. In this case 8 years ago was the last time I put together a rig. It's had been used heavily daily so it doesn't owe me anything, thats for sure. But it does feel like I have to re-educate myself all over again as to what is good, whats changed, and sometimes there are questions I havent even considered. So thank you for the info!

Here is my current rig... from PC part picker... https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jmacintosh/saved/#view=Fx4scf

OS - Windows Pro 7

CPU - Stock Speed
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Corsair H80i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard - Stock Speed
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-2133 CL11 Memory

Video Card - Stock Speed
XFX Radeon R9 280X 3 GB DD Video Card

Power Supply
Corsair CXM 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Last night I was multi tasking and the screen got funny, and the most obvious cause was some type of failure on the video card. Took it out cleaned it. Put it back in and it would seem the fans aren't running. I had this list on my old PC part Picker account, so I looked it up and apparently there are still alot of cards compatible with the mobo. The specs are as follows...

Specifications
Manufacturer

XFX
Part #
R9-280X-TDFD
Chipset
Radeon R9 280X
Memory
3 GB
Memory Type
GDDR5
Core Clock
850 MHz
Boost Clock
1000 MHz
Interface
PCIe x16
Color
Black / Silver
SLI/CrossFire

• 4-way CrossFire Capable
  • 3-way CrossFire Capable
  • 2-way CrossFire Capable
Frame Sync
None
Length
295 mm
TDP
250 W
DVI Ports
HDMI Ports
Mini-HDMI Ports
DisplayPort Ports
Mini-DisplayPort Ports
Expansion Slot Width
Cooling
2 Fans
External Power
1 PCIe 8-pin + 1 PCIe 6-pin
HDMI
DVI-I Dual-Link
DVI-D Single-Link
Mini-Display Port

----------------------------------------------------------------

here's the question... the rest of the system seems to run fine. I run dual 27 BENQ 2730Z's. I do some gaming... EVE, iRacing, an older FPS here or there. I can grab another GPU compatible with the board, but the list is limited... here is my last pcpartpicker search of their list...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/v...296,8589934592&i=39&L=69000000,292000000&Q=11

I'm hoping I don't have to go the route of starting over with mobo chip ram and gpu.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I was pretty satisfied with how the system was performing. I was considering upgrading the RAM. There was a nice ddr4 3200 option for only $120 from Gskill that would double my RAM.
Depending on how fat your wallet is and how high up the perf ladder you want to go perhaps look at something like the gtx 1650.

About 400 bucks and a bump in perf.

No you can not use ddr4 ram on your mobo.

Reactions: jmacintosh

larkspur

Distinguished
Thanks for the help! I was able to get the system to start back up after the card cooled back down. I had run an Nvidia monitoring program and I could watch the temp climb and I noticed the fans weren't spinning up. I thought that was rather unusual, so I believe the card may have failed as you have pointed out.
As you probably already know, new and used GPUs are a complete rip-off. If the only problem with your current GPU is that the fans are dead then you could do a little cooler mod on your old card to get some more use out of it. This would require removing the cooler from the card, removing the fan shroud, zip-tie some 120mm or 90mm fans onto the cooler (I would use 2000rpm fans), clean the thermal paste off the cooler and the gpu, apply new thermal paste, reinstall the cooler to the card. The fans could plug into the PSU or a fan header on the mobo or a fan controller if you have one. I've done this with excellent results. A lot of cards use cheap sleeve-bearing fans that die after a few years. Just because the fans die doesn't mean your card is dead. But I can also understand if you don't want to spend the time and effort!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You are correct, it was DDR3 3200 I saw last night... my bad!

what do you think about this? RX 580...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DF8V4V?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
Geebus . . $649?? I have that exact same model... in the Before Time, I got it new for $159.99 after rebate (December 2018).

But, that was before the insanity.

It seems that there are GTX 1660 cards available for around the same price as the RX580 you found. While I lean in the direction of AMD, for about the same money, the GTX 1660 performs better than the RX 580 while using significantly less power.

That said, I agree with @larkspur - it's orobably well worth replacing the fans or somehow rigging together a cooling setup and keeping your old card going.

And, as others have already said, definitely replace that PSU.

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
GPU fans don't need to run when doing 2D workloads like surfing the internet and such.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6c2VEj5i0s

Well as soon as I loaded up Eve online it started acting up. Even if it isnt an overheat issue, there is something definitely wrong with the video card. I thought I caught a bug. managed to somehow get scans done, and found nothing. HDD was fine, RAM was fine, on board diagnostics said Mobo was fine, and no beeps on POST.

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
An update…. going to do a barebones driver install. It would seem one fan spins up, the other doesn't.

Was running at about 160 f. 70 c. Once the one fan kicked in, it would drop to about 130 f within 20 seconds. So those fans really cool out down quick.

This should take two possible variables... heat or corrupted driver issue.

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
After using FurMark, GPU Shark says this...

GPU Shark v0.25.0
(C)2010-2020 Geeks3D - https://geeks3d.com
----------------------------------------
  • Elapsed time: 00:00:45
  • GL memory - total:3072MB, usage:59MB
GPU 1 - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
  • GPU: Tahiti(GCN1.0) (1002-6798)
  • Subvendor: XFX (1682-3001)
  • ASIC family: GCN1
  • Cores: 2048
  • Compute units: 32
  • TMUs (Texture Mapping Units): 128
  • ROPs (Render Output Units): 32
  • GPU temp: 67.0°C (152.6°F)
  • Fan speed: 66.0 % (66.0 RPM)
  • GPU power:
- Power min: 80 % TDP
- Power max: 120 % TDP
- Clock speeds:
- Core: 1000 MHz
- FP32 perf: 4.1 TFLOPS
- Texture fillrate: 128.0 GTexel/s
- Pixel fillrate: 32.0 GPixel/s
- Mem: 1500 MHz
- Current clock speeds:
- Core: 501.0MHz
- FP32 perf: 2.1 TFLOPS
- Texture fillrate: 64.1 GTexel/s
- Pixel fillrate: 16.0 GPixel/s
- Mem: 1500.0 MHz
- VDDC: 0.950 V
- Core usage: 0.0 %

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Are you monitoring your temps? Something like GPU-z will work.
puv.png

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
next update, used an autodetect driver tool from AMD/Radeon, and installed the driver. SYstem booted and video appeared to work normally. Ran FurMark and let the program stress the gpu or 5 minutes... eventually both fans spun up and continued from there.

So I decided to run under the same conditions as last night. A couple Brave browser windows open, one streaming a podcast with video, Running eve on one monitor, with the other stuff running on the second. All was well until this happened...

Everything goes black for about 5 seconds, and this pops up... those boxes appearing at the bottom of the screen is because my mouse is going over the icons in the shortcuts bar on the menu bar.

There were a few browser widows I was able to close while this was going on by seeing the traces of the boxes and clicking on the upper right corner. So it appears the programs themselves are still running properly, just the signal sent to the monitors is all weird.

Wait to see if something changes back to the proper screen, nothing so I reboot. Now, screen back to normal. Thought I had stumbled onto something with the driver re-install. guess not. I had ordered a gpu earlier in the day, then cancelled it when I managed to get it back up and running. Now I'm wondering if I was hasty in cancelling that order.

I have not tried to run EVE again yet. about to do that next.

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
another update... Ran EVE for about 10 minutes and it ran fine again. got my self situated and quit the game. back to two browser windows and running discord and everything is working normal again. GPU Shark says I am running about 60 Celcius and 140 F.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think I recall something about some GPUs operating the fans independently... where they'd start one fan, and only run two if needed... but don't hold me to that.

Can't say I have a clue as to the screen going all color-spectrum on you. I know once my brother complained about "zappy lines" on his screen (he and I live across the country from each other, so I never saw it in person), and that problem was solved by switching to another output port on the video card. But this doesn't seem like the same thing.

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I think I recall something about some GPUs operating the fans independently... where they'd start one fan, and only run two if needed... but don't hold me to that.

Can't say I have a clue as to the screen going all color-spectrum on you. I know once my brother complained about "zappy lines" on his screen (he and I live across the country from each other, so I never saw it in person), and that problem was solved by switching to another output port on the video card. But this doesn't seem like the same thing.

Sounds like I need to re-order that video card again.

this was the card I had picked out...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BWR9J1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1