The P6600 Is Imagination's First High-Performance 64-Bit CPU With OmniShield Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
It's kind of saddening when I hear young people saying the Bill Gates or Steve Jobs are the innovators of the PC while being totally ignorant to the techonogical development that took place in the '80s and the '90s in particular.

Back in the '90s, the absolute state of the art of computers came from Silicon Graphics with their machines running on MIPS CPUs. They were found on state-of-the art workstations such as Crimson, Indigo2, or Indy. If you wanted something bigger there were products in the SGI Onyx series or SGI Challenge. These products costed upwards millions of dollars. They were competing with SPARC products and IBM POWER mainframes while the average consumer were fiddling around with bleeping monochrome terminals on shitty x86 hardware.

It's funny how such hardware has found a place in cheap mobile applications today. Even the PowerPC/Freescale CPUs that used to be in powerMacs are now commonly found in setop boxes and embedded systems. Wonder what happened to the DecAlpha CPUs, a series of high-end CPUs that were commonly used to render computer graphics for TV and movies.

Now these companies are much more interesting than a sloppy BIOS manufacturer like American Megatrends.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
It's also funny to see young people today thinking the x86 hardware today works the same way as it did 20 years ago. All hardware evolves, neither of the platforms is neither true x86 or MIPS based. The reason x86 killed MIPS is because Intel were smarter in designing really scalable hardware and they did that a long time ago.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Smarter with designing scalable hardware? I don't think so! Intel had a larger customer base = more money for research and development and therefore they managed to compete with more price efficient products. This was coming from economies of scale and not because they were better. In fact, the Intel hardware with their 32bit CISC architecture was inferior to e.g. MIPS and SPARC that used 64bit RISC architectures with better pipelining and much faster bus/memory speeds. But Intel hardware was also a lot cheaper.

The Intel stuff was shit, but with the help of a lot of R&D they managed to overcome a lot of those hurdles. I'm not sure exactly when but they did a total redesign "under the hood" and now those x86 instructions are merely a layer on top of an internal instruction set of what they call "microcode". But this instruction set has been updated with quite a lot of extensions that render many of the old instructions redundant and obsolete. I think we are at AVX2.0 now. So yes, I'm aware of their redesign...

The current instruction set is a performance hurdle for Intel still to this day, how big a hurdle it is is hard to tell. I think one shouldn't rule out the possibility that one day the x86/x64 might get replaced by more efficient architectures in the future. The ARM CPU can gain market share, I think it is still inferior to Intel in server environments but it is developing as well and future ARM64 technologies may come with what is required for server environments. There is a lot of talk about power efficient ARM-based servers right now. The thing is that Intel has so far not yet managed to penetrate the mobile market and that could one day spell the end of Intel's architectures.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Intel does redundancy at a fraction of the cost of any other platform. You can whine about made up things like "microcode" and instructions. The reality is, Intel did everything right and now MIPS are once again trying to play catchup.
I'll just rest my case with asking you what the server hardware market looked like 20 years ago and what it looks like today.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Intel does redundancy at a fraction of the cost of any other platform. You can whine about made up things like "microcode" and instructions. The reality is, Intel did everything right and now MIPS are once again trying to play catchup.
I'll just rest my case with asking you what the server hardware market looked like 20 years ago and what it looks like today.

if i remember right there are some workloads that those old as dirt sg computers do faster than todays, i honestly forget what as it was quite a while ago that i was looking at that.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Yeah, you remember it wrong. A current smartphone outperforms an early 90s super computer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.