thedominator1550

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
I've bought new part
ryzen 5 3600
and an Asus Prime X570-P
and Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3600
and an evga rtx 2060 super

when i first installed every thing it worked fine then when i did change the ram frequency to 3600 the PC is no longer poosting.
what could it be the problem ?

Last edited:
Solution
Unplug the PC from the power, locate the BIOS battery, it's a small, silver circular thing about the width of a coin. It can be quite often covered up by your GPU.

1. Once you've found it, remove it.
  2. Re-insert the GPU if you removed it.
  3. Count to 42 because it's a good number.
  4. Plug in the PC without the battery and turn it on.
  5. Will it post?
  6. If it will turn the PC back off, put the battery back in.
  7. Move on with your life ;-)

thedominator1550

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
boost up there meant post lol
does it post and not boot or does it just not post? post means it gets to the screen where you enter bios. boot means booting into windows.
it did post for the first time and i installed windows and all then it didn't post after i changed the memory frequency and i dont know why

i tried different memory and different GPU and its the same issue

Moocats

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Unplug the PC from the power, locate the BIOS battery, it's a small, silver circular thing about the width of a coin. It can be quite often covered up by your GPU.

5. Will it post?

Reactions: extreme_noob
Solution

5. Will it post?
Well, don't turn the PC on without the battery. It needs that. Also, look in the manual for a clear CMOS jumper. It should be two pins which if you bridge with a conductor and hold for 5-10 seconds it clears CMOS without having to remove battery.

Moocats

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Well, don't turn the PC on without the battery. It needs that. Also, look in the manual for a clear CMOS jumper. It should be two pins which if you bridge with a conductor and hold for 5-10 seconds it clears CMOS without having to remove battery.

I'm totally willing to accept if I'm wrong here on some deeper "shouldn't do " level that I'm not aware of but I have myself done what I advised above before successfully. It just won't save any BIOS settings when I turn it off and unplug it again which in the interest of this test doesn't matter. Is there some other reason I don't know of why one shouldn't turn on a PC with the battery absence?

I also figured removing the battery was easier than directing the OP about the jumpers. but either or I guess.

I'm totally willing to accept if I'm wrong here on some deeper "shouldn't do " level that I'm not aware of but I have myself done what I advised above before successfully. It just won't save any BIOS settings when I turn it off and unplug it again which in the interest of this test doesn't matter. Is there some other reason I don't know of why one shouldn't turn on a PC with the battery absence?

I also figured removing the battery was easier than directing the OP about the jumpers. but either or I guess.
I guess that's fair. I don't think there's any damage to be done by turning it on without the battery, but I don't see a reason to do so, as bios settings would be lost.

In my experience, removing the battery can be more difficult than looking in the manual for a jumper (and finding it). But that's just me.

Reactions: Moocats

Moocats

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
I guess that's fair. I don't think there's any damage to be done by turning it on without the battery, but I don't see a reason to do so, as bios settings would be lost.

In my experience, removing the battery can be more difficult than looking in the manual for a jumper (and finding it). But that's just me.

'Tis one of those situations where we're both right and either is valid, Nice! Lets hope his resetting the BIOS works.

eagerly awaits the return of the OP