News The Pentagon Aims to Predict Enemy’s Actions Through AI

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 21, 2018
The U.S. via the Pentagon has made clear its intention to employ AI systems for geostrategic planning, including national defense and theatres of war. The idea is to achieve a predictive model that allows decision makers to remain one – or more – steps ahead of the opposition, deterring any possible hostile actions. However, a number of questions on the deployment of such systems remain.

The Pentagon Aims to Predict Enemy’s Actions Through AI : Read more

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Another Oldie like me?

Yes, but technically in the movie Captain America and the Winter Soldier, Scarlett Johansson did reference the line when her and Captain America stumbled into an old tape reel computer room in the basement of an army training camp. Dr. Zola had uploaded himself into the computer room to become an A.I. I'm not sure how many younger people got the reference but it was renewed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkvHzRnR6BU

Last edited:

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
IIRC the Cold War would've went thermonuclear at least twice, if then-current technology had been left to determine the enemy's actions.

Thanks but we still need humans and gut instinct.

AI (of a sorts) has already ALMOST started WWIII.
I remember reading a long article about the 'computer' that the USSR used in the early 1980s to predict the probability of a nuclear attack. It was fed coutinous data from hundreds (thousands?) of points and would calculate an attack probability from that. In late September, 1983, alarms went off in a secret bunker south of Moscow saying that the probability of attack was 100% and that the US had just launced intercontinental nuclear missles at the Soviet Union. This happened TWICE within a minute!

A Soviet Lt. Colonel had a gut feeling that it was a 'false alarm,' told his superiors it was a false alarm, and thus we are all still alive today.

Here's a short synopsis of the long article I read. I can't find the long version. - https://www.forbes.com/sites/kionas...rted-a-nuclear-war-and-the-man-who-stopped-it