Question The second nmve slot on the motherboard is not working properly

Mirnij

Reputable
Apr 1, 2020
Hello friends. My English is from a translator. I have a problem with the m.2 2 slot on the motherboard. When the system starts the computer turns on for a few seconds without loading the bios and then turns it off, turns on again and works normally

Mirnij

Reputable
Apr 1, 2020
PC
MB: Asus tuf B450 Pro gaming
Procesor: Ryzen 5 2600
Ram :G skill trident Z 3200 16 GB
Aio: Asus tuf LC 240
GPU: Asus tuf rx 5700xt
PSU: Corsair rm650x
M.2 1: Adata sx 8200 Pro 1tb
M.2 2: Crucial P3 2 tb
Hdd: Seagate Barracuda 2tb

Last edited:
What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

First thing you should do is remove and reinstall the M.2 drive as we see a lot of these problems with drives that are not fully or properly installed. It's easy to get it not exactly inserted fully or cocked sideways a little bit. Also, might be worth trying the Adata drive in the M2_2 slot without the Crucial drive installed to see if you have similar problems.

Mirnij

Reputable
Apr 1, 2020
Hello, the bios is the latest 3802. I also tried the Adata disk into the pcie x16 adapter, but the same thing happened. First power on reboot and then works normally. I don't have a problem with loading the disk, I can see it in the bios as well. It even loads my disk in the m.2_2 bay, even if it does not support nmve m.2 3 gen but only sata nmve

No, the M.2_2 socket does NOT support SATA drives. It ONLY supports PCIe NVME drives. The M.2_1 slot supports both SATA and PCIe NVME drives. However the M.2_1 slot ONLY supports SATA drives if you are using an Athlon CPU rather than a Ryzen CPU.

(M.2_1)
3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics :

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*2
AMD Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode)*2
3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 10

(M.2_2)
AMD B450 chipset :

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 2.0 x4)*3
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 10

So, I don't think this problem necessarily has to do with the M.2 drives unless it only happens when there is a drive in the M.2_2 slot. It sounds more like memory training. Do you have D.O.C.P enabled in the BIOS? Do have fast boot in the MEMORY section enabled? Not in the boot section, but in the memory/RAM section.

Mirnij

Reputable
Apr 1, 2020
Hello. I tried with both DOPC and Default settings in the bios system turned on, but without success. I turned off fast startup in the BOOT menu. Can you please tell me where I can find the MEMORY setting and how to set it correctly?

Well, if it isn't crashing now then it shouldn't crash later, but it also shouldn't be doing this now. Does it do this with only one (Either one) NVME drive installed in either of the two M.2 slots? I think I'm still not really fully clear on exactly what is going on.

Please FULLY outline EXACTLY what is happening, and EXACTLY WHEN it happens, and when it does not. So, if changing anything (Like removing one of the drives) causes it to not happen anymore, then explain that. Etc.

Mirnij

Reputable
Apr 1, 2020
Ok. I was using 1 nmve disk slot. I had little space on the disk, so I bought a second nmve disk. I put it in the second nmve disk slot on the motherboard and when I connected it to the network, the PC turned off and turned on again, then it worked normally. So I removed nmve from the second slot and the computer started immediately when turned on. So I put the first disk in the second nmve bay and the computer restarted once again when connected to the network, then it worked normally. So I replaced and bought a new CMOS battery - it didn't help. I changed the RAM memory. I tried the memory modules separately one by one. No success. I repasted the processor. I installed the latest bios. I reinstalled Windows 11, I deleted all the accounts. I installed Win 11 and still nothing. I bought an adapter for pclie x16 slot on nmve. Well, none of that helped. I'll probably have to return the nmve disk and buy an ssd, but I wouldn't want to.

So, if you've made 100% sure you are getting the drives FULLY seated in that M.2 slot, and it's doing the same thing with both drives when installed in that slot even if there is no drive installed in the OTHER M.2 slot, then it can really only be a bad motherboard.

Mirnij

Reputable
Apr 1, 2020
But then the pciex16_2 slot in which the adapter for the nmve 2_2 disk is also defective? Maybe you are right and there is a winter joint on the motherboard.

No. There is no pciex blah blah blah, there is only either PCIEx16 or M.2_x. Period. Are you actually using the M.2 slots or are you trying to use the x16 slots for the M.2 drives. Because they are NOT the same thing. AND, what you are saying seems to be in direct contradiction to itself.

Mirnij

Reputable
Apr 1, 2020
I thought that when I buy an adapter for the pclie slot, my computer will not restart like in the m.2_2 slot on the motherboard. But that didn't solve the problem and it looks like I won't even solve it.

I see. So you are having the same problem whether you use the second M.2 slot OR a PCIe adapter. Ok, that's a different story.

Just for giggles, try installing the two M.2 drives in the M.2 slots and DISCONNECT your 2TB Barracuda drive completely from the motherboard and power. Then start the system up and see if the two NVME drives are recognized.

Mirnij

Reputable
Apr 1, 2020
Hello. I removed the hdd, removed the cmos battery, removed the gpu, removed the nmve from the adapter and put it in the nmve 2_2 slot. My pc still restarts when I turn it on for the first time. If I removed nmve 2_2, the pc would work correctly without restarting at startup.