"The selected disk is of the gpt partition style"

Edwin Finch

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hey everyone.

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on a separate 100GB partition beside my Windows 8 partition (dual boot).

The disc boots fine, but I can't select my partition (Disk 0 part 5) because of the error: "The selected disk is of the gpt partition style".

I CANNOT wipe my disk (with all my files and windows 8 stuff on it) because I can't afford to back it up anywhere.

Any help? Please take it easy on the lingo as I'm new to this.

Thanks a ton.

Using an HP p7-1455

Solution
Newer UEFI systems like yours usually have bios boot device selections that include two for each device: one legacy bios and one UEFI. You need to specify the UEFI to install on a GPT drive.

I agree totally with anonymous1 though, I would use a second drive for Windows 7.

Edwin Finch

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I'm doing a X64 install of Ultimate. And how do I boot it that way? I just go to advanced windows bootup by pressing delete when the computer is turning on, then select boot from CD/DVD drive

RealBeast

Titan
Newer UEFI systems like yours usually have bios boot device selections that include two for each device: one legacy bios and one UEFI. You need to specify the UEFI to install on a GPT drive.

I agree totally with anonymous1 though, I would use a second drive for Windows 7.

Solution