News The Short Lived Return of 3dfx

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
This is where 3Dfx , Nvidia and AMD missed the boat. If 3Dfx owns the Voodoo marketing why not sell it to Nvidia an AMD where they can market it as their Uber high end custom line of GPU's the Voodoo series.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Looks DOA to me. Hyping up a big reveal that's just a series of PowerPoint slides is the hallmark of vulture capitalism. Some investors are looking to make a quick buck by taking advantage of nostalgia, branding, and pre-bankruptcy successes. I can't see 3DFX going any further than re-branding generic Chinese tech products that regularly flood Amazon. Sad. We really could use more serious competition in the GPU space.

This is where 3Dfx , Nvidia and AMD missed the boat. If 3Dfx owns the Voodoo marketing why not sell it to Nvidia an AMD where they can market it as their Uber high end custom line of GPU's the Voodoo series.
I think Nvidia or ATi would have bought the Voodoo brand if they wanted it. Their Geforce and Radeon brands were already strong enough, and AIB partners have their own sub-brands. The real value was in the tech IP, not marketing.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Just another Internet scam...as predicted. There were so many logic holes in the original Tweet that I'm surprised it was regurgitated anywhere...;) If it had been something real then we'd have seen it today, maybe--and today would have been the day to run it as a "news" item. It's easy to fool the Internet pundits. Good rule of thumb--Internet sites should require a lot of corroborating evidence before taking stuff like this at face value. It's not worth headlining.

PCI bus as in the old school pre-AGP PCI bus?
Yes. Back in the dark ages of the 1990s, that's what a lot of cards used. 3dfx didn't make an AGP card until the Voodoo 3000 series (actually, 3dfx Banshee was available as an AGP card in 1998). Voodoo 4 and 5 may as well not have existed, as 3dfx went bankrupt not long after those models launched.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
3dfx designed the chips and sold them to video card manufacturers. They were the Gold Standard of 3d video cards. STB, (a video card manufacturer), was going bankrupt. 3dfx decided to cut out all the video card manufacturers by buying STB and making the cards them selves. 3dfx went out of business not long after that.
The Voodoo 1 was unbelievable when it came out. The Voodoo 2 was a huge step up in performance and it was the first card to support SLI. I loved those cards. I believe Nvidia bought all the patents from what was left of 3dfx.
I am mad these clowns are tarnishing the 3dfx brand with what appears to be a Scam.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
You know, I actually like to see an actual return, at least of the branding. I'm fairly sure Nvidia owns them, if they just pushed some products (I'd accept any at this point, just for the brand) I would be pretty happy

D

Deleted member 14196

I remember my first voodoo card. And all the patched games that allowed me to use graphics acceleration good times

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Will these be for sale at Circuit City or CompUSA? Which one do I have to camp overnight at?

Might have to flip through the pages of the current Computer Shopper magazine (you know, the oversized 1 inch thick magazine with mostly ads) in order to order it
LOL (it's been discontinued almost as long as 3dfx has been gone)

Reactions: Soaptrail

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
Making a GPU that can compete even with Intel's is going to be hard, especially with the fab situation we have at the moment. What was everyone expecting? I personally would love more competition, even if they managed to create a $200-300 GPU. The reality is that unless they have someone like the GPU version of Jim Keller, or a bunch of former employees from GPU makers, the odds would be against them.

I was possibly expecting a 3dfx card with something like an Nvidia GPU on it. 3dfx sounded like it was going to be another RCA, a name licensed out to other companies to put on their products.