Review The Shrimp Keyboard Review: 25 Keys Dedicated to Gaming

You can get an entire wireless 65% keyboard with many more switch and keycap options for a similar price. It may be nice for super niche use cases, however, I would have loved to see the rest of the keyboard potentially as an "attachment" at least offered.

I've never heard of a game where you don't need all the letters and numbers at the very least lol. How do you enter the password?
I'm guessing the main intended use-case would be for what they mention in the review, that is for"laptop users who don’t want to haul an entire mechanical keyboard around with them."

I could see that actually making some sense, as the positioning of a laptop's built-in keyboard can be less than ideal for gaming, as you can't reposition it to the left of the screen, and the keys may not have ideal gaming characteristics either. And a larger keyboard would need to be placed either over or in front of the laptop, neither of which would likely work all that well with most setups. With a half keyboard like this, you could keep it directly to the side of the one that's built-in, and that keyboard's keys would still be accessible for anything requiring them.

For many games though, this could still be problematic, as you would have to reach a lot further to access those other keys, and there may not be enough keys available to remap everything how you would want for some games with more complex control schemes.

D

Deleted member 14196

I'm guessing the main intended use-case would be for what they mention in the review, that is for"laptop users who don’t want to haul an entire mechanical keyboard around with them."

I could see that actually making some sense, as the positioning of a laptop's built-in keyboard can be less than ideal for gaming, as you can't reposition it to the left of the screen, and the keys may not have ideal gaming characteristics either. And a larger keyboard would need to be placed either over or in front of the laptop, neither of which would likely work all that well with most setups. With a half keyboard like this, you could keep it directly to the side of the one that's built-in, and that keyboard's keys would still be accessible for anything requiring them.

For many games though, this could still be problematic, as you would have to reach a lot further to access those other keys, and there may not be enough keys available to remap everything how you would want for some games with more complex control schemes.
I can actually see some regular gamers who would want to add this to their system just for a spare set of keys to use

I can actually see some regular gamers who would want to add this to their system just for a spare set of keys to use
That likely wouldn't work particularly well though. These are all duplicates of keys already on the main keyboard, and there's no dedicated software for remapping them, so the keys on both keyboards would perform the same functions. There is at least one freeware utility I know of that lets you map different keyboards individually (HID Macros), but most remapping software doesn't allow this.

But if you are going to remap all the keys, why not just go with a mechanical numpad, which packs a similar amount of keys into less space in a nice grid layout? I don't see any significant advantage this would offer over that, and some 21 to 22-key models can be found on Amazon for under $20.

So again, this probably makes the most sense to use alongside a laptop keyboard for those gaming on a laptop, to have access to better-performing keys at a more comfortable position.