[SOLVED] The Speed that you see in TaskManager, is that the speed for just one core or all 4 ?

Solution
The speed in the opening tab in Taskmanager, where you see some other stats is the rated speed of the processor. Turbo or boost is not rated speeds, base clock is. Its what's imprinted on the firmware.

For instance, my cpu is sitting at 4.6GHz currently. Task manager doesn't report that speed, because that's not the firmware stat of the cpu. Instead it lists it at 3.5GHz, because that's what the base clock of a i7-3770k is. Regardless of the fact the turbo clock factory setting is 3.9GHz.

You'll need to use a real-time app like RealTemp or Coretemp or cpu-z or Afterburner etc to see what the cpu is currently boosting to.

Taskmanager tells you what is, not what it's doing.

Fkort96

Great
Nov 17, 2019
It is a combined number of all cores that you have in your system. Most of the time its not 100% accurate. If you want to monitor your CPU clock speed I would suggest using HWInfo :)

Fkort96

Great
Nov 17, 2019
ok. well my CPU has a boost clock of 4,2, i never see it go to 4,2. How come?

It all depends on the CPU you are using, you should look up the all core boost frequency and single core boost frequency. Then I would suggest you saturate the CPU with a stress test, so you can check if the CPU is performing conforming AMD or Intel

1. Set your power scheme to High Performance in Windows 10 Control Panel
  2. Run Prime95 blend test
  3. Monitor frequencies in HWInfo.

AMD Precision Boost or Intel Turbo Boost will automatically kick in. Please note that you need atleast a good working CPU cooler ( not a cooler that is full of dust) because it will output a lot of heat.

Fkort96

Great
Nov 17, 2019
You should be able to do a stress test on a laptop too. However it would not be able to sustain the full boost clock for a very long time, since the CPU in a laptop usually has limited thermal conduction. Therefore the temperature will rise sooner and the CPU will clock doen to prevent heat damage.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The speed in the opening tab in Taskmanager, where you see some other stats is the rated speed of the processor. Turbo or boost is not rated speeds, base clock is. Its what's imprinted on the firmware.

For instance, my cpu is sitting at 4.6GHz currently. Task manager doesn't report that speed, because that's not the firmware stat of the cpu. Instead it lists it at 3.5GHz, because that's what the base clock of a i7-3770k is. Regardless of the fact the turbo clock factory setting is 3.9GHz.

You'll need to use a real-time app like RealTemp or Coretemp or cpu-z or Afterburner etc to see what the cpu is currently boosting to.

Taskmanager tells you what is, not what it's doing.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Solution