Question The task manager says i have 2 memory slots but i can only see one

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
I was looking to upgrade my memory from 8gb to 16gb and i made sure before i take my laptop apart that it has 2 memory slots, which the internet, task manager and speccy said i all have 2 memory slots. so i opened up my laptop to see that i only have 1 memory slot, so i did lots of research and apparently my laptop ( Acer Aspire A315-22 ) has 2 ram slots but mine didn't so i took the only ram stick out that was visible. i go onto task manager to see that i have 4gb ram still in there even when i took out the other 4gb. so my question is, how do i only have 1 ram slot that is visible but when i take it out i have 4gb of ram instead of 8gb. Help?!

I was looking to upgrade my memory from 8gb to 16gb and i made sure before i take my laptop apart that it has 2 memory slots, which the internet, task manager and speccy said i all have 2 memory slots. so i opened up my laptop to see that i only have 1 memory slot, so i did lots of research and apparently my laptop ( Acer Aspire A315-22 ) has 2 ram slots but mine didn't so i took the only ram stick out that was visible. i go onto task manager to see that i have 4gb ram still in there even when i took out the other 4gb. so my question is, how do i only have 1 ram slot that is visible but when i take it out i have 4gb of ram instead of 8gb. Help?!
Your model has 4GB soldered on to the motherboard and you can only add one extra module of 4GB to 16GB. If you add a module with higher than 4GB capacity, you probably won't have dual channel mode anymore if it was already enabled with your 4GB module installed. If dual channel mode is enabled with 8GB total, it will run faster than if you added an 8GB or 16GB module.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Your model has 4GB soldered on to the motherboard and you can only add one extra module of 4GB to 16GB. If you add a module with higher than 4GB capacity, you probably won't have dual channel mode anymore if it was already enabled with your 4GB module installed. If dual channel mode is enabled with 8GB total, it will run faster than if you added an 8GB or 16GB module.
Thanks, but it says i have 2 slots available? or does the soldered on memory stick count as a slot?

Thanks, but it says i have 2 slots available? or does the soldered on memory stick count as a slot?
The first "slot" is the 4GB soldered on the motherboard.

Edit - I looked up the specs of the CPU and it only has a single memory channel, so adding a module with higher than 4GB capacity won't matter since you can't run dual channel mode. Get an 8 or 16GB 2133Mhz module if you really need more than 8GB.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020

Edit - I looked up the specs of the CPU and it only has a single memory channel, so adding a module with higher than 4GB capacity won't matter since you can't run dual channel mode. Get an 8 or 16GB 2133Mhz module if you really need more than 8GB.

thanks, just making sure, was the processor you saw amd a9 a6 or a4? because the laptop i have has a amd a9 processor. thanks in advance!

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
The first "slot" is the 4GB soldered on the motherboard
Your CPU has single channel support only. It looks like all AMD APU A4 to A9 "Bristol Ridge" mobile and ultra mobile series all have single channel memory support.
thats bad to here i guess, do you know where i could order 12gb ram stick because if i get a 16gb ram stick only 12gb are going to be used. thanks in advance!

thanks, just making sure, was the processor you saw amd a9 a6 or a4? because the laptop i have has a amd a9 processor. thanks in advance!