The Transformers MMO Game That We Can't Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Personally, I'm MMOed the F out. I don't much care about this franchise, I'd much rather play a really great MMO RPG based on something much cooler, like Star Trek. Am I the only one who likes the original toys, but thinks that the whole thing has gotten a bit lame? I mean, they're cars. What next, amazing skyscrapers that come to life and defend mankind against trains? Little boys like cars. Little boys like robots. Little boys like cars that are robots. Grown men like Megan Fox. Grown gamers like MMO's but not if they don't feature a lot of Megan Fox.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cmcghee358[/nom]I'd rather it's made by one of our own american companies that are veterans of the MMO genere.[/citation]
MMO's are less popular in the West than they are in the Far East.
They have hundreds of the damn things and all the stories of gamers dying after marathon 80+ hour gaming session are in Korea or Japan.
Just cos in the West we have heard of WoW, Eve and Starcraft doesn't make the USA anything close to the saturation and uptake over there.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]Personally, I'm MMOed the F out. I don't much care about this franchise, I'd much rather play a really great MMO RPG based on something much cooler, like Star Trek. Am I the only one who likes the original toys, but thinks that the whole thing has gotten a bit lame? I mean, they're cars. What next, amazing skyscrapers that come to life and defend mankind against trains? Little boys like cars. Little boys like robots. Little boys like cars that are robots. Grown men like Megan Fox. Grown gamers like MMO's but not if they don't feature a lot of Megan Fox.[/citation]

Grown men don't need Megan Fox featured in a video game to be entertained.

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Grown men don't need Megan Fox featured in a video game to be entertained.[/citation]

But it doesn't hurt either.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Bah, don't need it. I remember MMO's back in my days were listening to PinkFloyd and Weed - I created my own world and real women..lots!

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Having worked on a few MMO's myself, I can tell you that this will likely bomb. NetDragon doesn't yet seem to have the designer brain power pool yet to make anything beyond the typical formulaic MMO, and Transformers is one of those titles that gamers would expect to be a bit different from the regular bill of fare.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I don't know you but I'm loving War for Cybertron... I would play an mmo based on it immediately! However, the multiplayer does the job quite well IMO

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Mind you, the license by NetDragon just covers those specific territories, so that means that another game developer can pick up the rights for the rest of the world.
[citation][nom]cmcghee358[/nom]I'd rather it's made by one of our own american companies that are veterans of the MMO genere.[/citation]

I agree, and I wouldn't object to Blizzard looking into this as long as they steer away from having users pay per month. Call me old fashioned, but I don't see the logic in paying for a game I just bought. I know why Blizzard does it with WOW, but that doesn't mean I like it.

G

Anyone think that the reason Netgradon only got a liscense for Asia is because there is already a game in production for the West. Just sayin'.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
As long as the game is better written than the movies, it should be fun. (The first movie wasn't good, but not bad as well, but the second one was really, really bad...)

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]demosthenes81[/nom]where the hell is my good gundam mmo[/citation]
You mean Battletech / Mechwarrior :)

I suppose a Transformers MMO would be sad. Though, sad, because there's not a whole lot of premise behind it. Minimal story without many directions to take it. I suppose there may be Transformer novels that I don't know about, but in an MMO from "over there", it will turn out to be just as all the others have - linear, grinding, identical quests with NPC's and things to blowded up being mostly the same with slightly different names or colors.... wait, I guess that's what we get from WoW too.

The most we could hope for would be an expansive, multi-planet, multi-faction emmersive environment that Battletech has to offer. Mechwarrior (from rules and game-play perspective) already has everything built-in, from single-play RP as a person on the street to Merc missions, to raids and large-scale combat, even espionage, logistics, and running corporations. (Yes, I know no one wants to play a game/MMO and do the same things they do in RL).

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Most likely anyone who licenses it for North America and Europe will use the same software with localization applied on their own servers. Several MMO's have moved from Asia over to the US in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.