The Truth Behind ASRock's X58 SuperComputer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]For example the C2D 45nm are said to be at 1.45v and 65nm are said to be at 1.5v.[/citation]
Perhaps it's just luck, but my best friend has been running an e6400 at 1.5V since december 2006 and it's still running (410x8 used daily) and my e6600 has been running at 1.55v since summer 2007 (380x9). My cpu does get quite warm though, as it's intake path is blocked by 8 harddrives, and I haven't vacuumed the case for a year, but it's still running. And btw these are actual idle voltages in windows - not the setting in bios. I set my bios to 'auto' voltages, and as soon as you overclock gigabyte apperas to think 1.6v is nessecary - ironically even if I underclock to 150x6 which is approximetly the lowest setting I can boot stable.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]ghozt[/nom]Sure, they don't want you to overclock when they program all that into the bios as adjustable value's for running within designed specifications (Woah I can adjust this, who'd have thought!) and also give you overclocking software too. Some companies will even have their tech's help you overclock and push their hardware to the max via their forums. Sure theirs companies that don't want you playing in the bios, like Dell and HP..[/citation]
That you have the option doesn't mean it's supported by warranty. Compare it to buying a new honda and blowing the engine after you tinker with the ecu - honda wouldn't cover that under warranty, as you did the tinkering.

G

> 3-way SLI configuration still has space for a forth card

Man, does anyone still program in FORTH any more? :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Doc66[/nom]> 3-way SLI configuration still has space for a forth cardMan, does anyone still program in FORTH any more?[/citation]

I could tell you to go forth and multiply, but it's obvious that you're right.

markus_mueller

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I am very interested in this board. But, after reading the article, I want to have a pcb >= 1.05 and a new Bios.
How can I find out before buing???

Is there anything besides choosing a reseller with high throughput?
(p.s. I live in Germany, so newegg is not an option)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
There is no way to know, but you could go thru the list at idealo.de and mail everyone who carries the board asking what pcb they have I suppose.
But most retailers don't even know themselves.

ranmamez

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hello.
Does someone found how to know what PCB version is inside the box using like the serial number or something else on the BOX?
Thanks in advance.

thief000

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hi!

I have a few questions about the AsRock boards, which I think have the best slot layout and legacy support of all X58 boards:

Does PCB revision 1.04/1.05 come with the B3 stepping of ICH10R - SLGMX?
Does the Asrock X58 Deluxe / SuperComputer have or support a TPM?

Thanks!

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom] ...you can read their warranty where they tell you that manually adjusting settings .. can void your warranty. .. because you are taking the product out of its designed specifications. ..ASRock has no responsibility to pull or repair these boards. Should Ford re-build your engine cause you used jet fuel instead of regular gasoline?Anyone who knows enough to overclock their CPU should know that they do so at their own risk.[/citation]
Well that's exactly why WE think Asrock's mobo is THE WORST of the pack. First and for most it failed (in fact FRYED) when others OCed succesfully, giving you an idea of its poor components and build quality.
Second, other mobos warranties are OCing friendly (an example is ASUS P6T from what I hear).
The whole point of building an expensive i7 system is the OCing headroom it has, without which it's performance would be on par with the similarly clocked core 2 quads.
The short version: Avoid this mobo at all costs !

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]That you have the option doesn't mean it's supported by warranty. Compare it to buying a new honda and blowing the engine after you tinker with the ecu - honda wouldn't cover that under warranty, as you did the tinkering.[/citation]
Can you tell me sir why they hurried and provided TH with a new PCB mobo and D0 CPU if they don't card for OCing?
To think of it, 4 GFX cards arn't needed for games, 3 way SLI is crazy enouph to add a 4th card for physix..And Nvidia's top platform needs only 2 PCI-e slots (GTX 295 SLI).

G

An OEM CD does not come with a case, it's a retail version of a CD I purchased in the store,or did I misunderstand the concept of OEM here?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
An OEM CD does not come with a case, it's a retail version of a CD I purchased in the store,or did I misunderstand the concept of OEM here?

OEM licenses are meant to be distributed with complete systems, and are licensed to that system. In order to maintain the rights to use that license, you must retain some of the orginal hardware. That hardware could be the case to which the OEM license sticker is attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts