**The Ultimate Modem/Router Setup Thread**

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

axxeon

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Sorry man, just saw this do you still need help?

FraidyMan

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I ALWAYS need help - I tried the split and sub-split, and it didn't work very well from what I could see. So I created a second IP address and gateway for the computers that needed to share printers on a different subnet, and it worked. For file sharing, I added a wireless NIC stick to the split computer, and gave it an ip on the second network- it seems to work. But it seems really messy.

We have 2 Cisco 3500XL Catalyst managed switches from our VOIP provider - surely we can create the 5 subnets on them and share 2 load-balanced internet feeds on that gear. Any thoughts?

axxeon

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

I just woke up man, I'll have a look at it properly tonight okay:)

axxeon

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Okay, back now.

What you wanna do is have an individual computer setup in the highest subnet (i.e top of the waterfall) for servers etc, and have a printer connected and shared on that computer, that way all computers on all cascaded subnets can see that computers and it's shares.

This is the cleanest way I know. Atm, from what I perceive, you are using two LAN cards on each individual subnet to bridge the two subnets correct?

If this is true that is quite messy:/ anyways, hope my solution helps, keep me updated:)

Axxeon

FraidyMan

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I tried a router on a subnet common to the two extents that needed to share the printers, and added the printers to that common subnet. For some odd reason, it didn't work.

So, I just added another ip address and gateway from the printers subnet to the foreign computers that needed access. I simply opened network properties, clicked on ipv4 protocol, click on advanced, then added an ip and gateway from the other subnet to it. Thet let the foreign computers see the printers, but not the shares on the "main" subnet. There is only one computer that needs access to the servers on each subnet, so I added a wireless network adapter to it, and hard-coded it to an IP on the other subnet. It worked.
/\\

fhall1

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Great thread...I'm finally jumping in over Christmas break to set up a Y network with three routers. I run a side business repairing/cleaning viruses/malware from PCs and would like the business subnet not to be able to mix with (and possibly infect) the "home" subnet.

Before I knew what I was doing (and saw this thread), I set up a simple two router "chained" network by hanging an old SMC router off my main Airport Extreme router, but that's not ideal, since the "work" network machines can see everything on the "home" network.

So, here's what I want to do. I want to put the new third router right after my cable modem (ISP). I want to keep my Airport Extreme and all devices attaching to it off one LAN port of this new router and my old SMC router off another LAN port of the new router. Currently, the IPs are:

new router: 192.168.2.1
Airport Extreme: 192.168.11.1
SMC Router: 192.168.1.1

My only concern is that I have some wireless IP webcams on the Airport Extreme that are using port forwarding (both UDP and HTTP) so I can view them from wherever I am on the Internet, not just from within my home network.

What's the best way to make sure the port forwarding from devices on the Airport subnet works through the "new" router and out through to the Internet? Do I have to open the same ports on the new router? Put the Airport network in the DMZ of the new router? Some other way?

Any help would be appreciated....and Happy Holidays all.

axxeon

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Hey dude, do you mind posting a new thread, if the public can't help you then I'll help you, just on a holiday atm and don't have time:/

Cheers

JDanW

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
axxeon, great thread. I have one question: Can the slave router be connected to a switch rather than directly to the master AP? I have a 1GB switch in the upstairs office and if I went straight to the slave, then to the switch, I would loose the 1GB protocol.

JDanW

axxeon

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Yep, as long as you set the DNS correctly to your master router:) and cheers, I spent quite a while doing this:) showed to my teachers at school, they think I'm a freak:) hahaha

Oh well
Glad I could help

Catchya

fhall1

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Axxeon - I posted a new thread....not much help there yet, but not in a great hurry if you're on holiday....I'll muddle through and hopefully it'll be easier than I thought. If I run into specifics issues, I'll post back.

JDanW

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
AXXEON...OK, I always hoped I wasn't a total idiot and can figure out most things, but networking crap really chaps my hide. So, since you are here, I'd love to just explain what I got going and see what you say.

I am using a DI-524 as the SLAVE router. It has a WAN and LAN tab for set-up (I am connecting via Cat5 cable to LAN port). At this point, my MASTER router has already had the DHCP changed to issue IP's between .100 and .149). I have printers, etc. that are static below that, but nothing near .2.

The WAN tab says "Please select the appropriate option to connect to your ISP". On this tab there is "Dynamic IP, Static IP, PPoE, etc.". When I check the static IP box, it comes up with three addresses. These are (and what i entered) "IP Address (192.168.1.2 - one up from my master router), Subnet Mask (255.255.255.0) and ISP Gateway Adreess (192.168.1.1)" I enter 192.168.1.2 (next one up from my MASTER) on this tab. It also has the DNS server addresses here, which I change both to 192.168.1.1...

When I click apply to these setting, it sends the changes, but doesn't reload (because I changed the IP, I assume), so I enter 192.168.1.2 in the address bar and it brings up the configuration with all the previously entered changes still there.

I go to the DHCP tab and check disabled on both "DHCP Server" and "Static DHCP", click apply, it does it's thing and settings are saved.

I unplug the SLAVE from the computer, plug my network back in, can get to 192.168.1.1, but nothing comes up for 192.168.1.2. I even tried to manually reserve .2, but can't reach the SLAVE.

I was going to go via this route, to verify things worked and set-up the wireless (SSID, PW, etc.)

Am I doing anything wrong? Should I be able to reach the SLAVE? etc. TIA for your help.

JDanW

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Generic replay to thread above...did it email you axxeon, or do I need to pick a reply to Axxeon button?

phylum_sinter

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
@JDanW - if he's subscribed to the thread then he'll be getting notification.

@Axxeon First of all happy new years!

I'm struggling with a (probably?) really simple problem to fix.

The situation is: i just upgraded my WOW! internet service to their 30mb down / 3mb up plan, and i've had absolutely no luck with tech support being able to figure out why i -

1) get slow responses to website activity with the modem connected to my router, and then anything after connected to my router - clicking a link sometimes takes 20 seconds before the page loads, and other times they never come up at all.

and

2) get odd slowdowns of streaming services to my xbox, roku, ps3 when my router is set to bridge connection to the router.

Both of these problems were nonexistant on the previous, DOCSIS 2.0 modem i had. So now i'm getting greater transfer speeds, but at the cost of slower connection times! The connection times improve when connected to the modem directly, but no access to the media servers this way.

The the modem is also a router, an Arris DG950. I only use it as a modem, with my router plugged into one of its' 4 ports. My router (which i need for media library connections via 2 usb inputs) is an ASUS rt-n56u.

One of the techs on another forum did me a solid and presumed the problem was with the modem not being bridged, and so did this, but didn't tell me that i would need to do anything else besides tell me the password that for some reason WOW! normally won't tell their customers. Having changed just the NAT type to bridged, and letting my router configure itself leads to even worse delays, connection drops and bad quality streaming. So i went back to default configuration and its long/occasionally infinite delays. The issue is becoming more bothersome every day, especially when i've had a half pot of coffee and am following 20 tabs at once hehe.

ok that's the background of my issue, here's the important part

Are any of the examples you posted originally what i would need to do to get these two devices talking to each other without the delay? it seems like i would just designate my router as the slave as described in your example "Chain two networks together in a Cascading fashion (Bridging LAN to WAN)". Is that correct? I've given up on my ISP's tech support. It seems like something the installer should have done himself, but he didn't.

Thanks for your time and expertise in this thread!

cmwood25

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hey there...awesome writeup, very useful and it's gotten me much further than I was before. I am having a few issues still and will describe them in as much detail as possible.

Basically, I have an existing Modem/Router which serves as my ADSL link but is pretty well locked down by the ISP. I can't change any settings i.e. DHCP, IP ranges, etc. So that limits me (unless I get a new ADSL router but I will try this approach first). This router is a Thomson TG782T and it's IP is 192.168.1.254

I purchased a second router, Linksys E3200, because I want to run DD-WRT so I can run OpenVPN or a PPTP VPN connection. This router I have set as 192.168.2.1. Haven't done anything too tricky with the DD-WRT settings as I just have a PPTP server address in there as well as my login info.

I have tried both ways (same subnet and separate subnets) but no luck...

When I cascade the routers, I am plugging a LAN port of the Thomson router/modem into the WAN port of the Linksys DD-WRT router. Both, unfortunately, have DHCP enabled. I only have the option to disable the DHCP on the Linksys as I can't change it on the Thomson. I can then see both wireless networks and can get an IP in my 192.168.2.X subnet but I do not have internet connectivity and DNS cannot be resolved. I did go into the DD-WRT router and add my DNS server as my Modem's IP (192.168.1.254), but it did not help.

When I had them on the same subnet (192.168.1.X), I could get internet from the DD-WRT peripherals but it was not running through the PPTP server (still told me I did not have a US IP address).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
CW

bluestarCVO

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hello all!

I am having problems with the 2-wire 3801HGV and my VPN. It looks as if I will be unable to use PPTP with this router, so I am trying to figure out how to properly set up my Linksys E3000 behind the 2-wire 3801HGV so that it can manage my VPN and I will be able to use PPTP.

I can currently connect to my VPN, but cannot access any of my network resources. I will greatly appreciate any detailed assistance with getting this set up properly.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hii Axxeon. 1st thing 1st- you are really genius. 2nd is my problem.
you said in your "CASCADING A ROUTER (Same subnet)" i can access all devices of master router from slave router. But is it possible to access all devices of slave router from any device connected to master router??? Please help

gdurkee

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Axxeon:

Looks like you may be off on an adventure but I'll post a question in case you reappear! Terrific instructions here. Thanks.

I'm trying to cascade a Checkpoint 1000n (master) to a Checkpoint Zone Alarm z100g (slave). My goal was to take advantage of the z100s wifi capability (1000n is wired only) and increase the number of LAN ports.

I've been back and forth with Checkpoint tech and one of them suggested close to what you recommend with some variation. Ahead of time, I reset the master 1000n to 192.168.10.250.

I kept the IP on the slave at 192.168.10.1 so it wouldn't upset the printers networked through the two USB printer ports or any other settings. Tech had recommended the reverse (250 on slave; .1 on master). I disabled DHCP on the slave.

Everything stayed plugged into the z100 except my desktop and the WAN to Modem.

I then moved the modem cable into the 1000n WAN port; put my desktop into the 1000n LAN port; connected the 1000n to the z100g LAN to LAN.

FROM the 1000n, I was able to ping everything on my network, including the z100g. FROM the z100g, I was able to ping my desktop and the 1000n as well as the rest of my network (still attached physically to the z100g). My desktop, on the 1000n was able to access the internet. Nothing on the z100g was able to access the Internet, whether connected by wifi or LAN.

So the problem is how do I get to the Internet from the slave z100g?

You recommend: "Change the DHCP range of the router(Master) from 192.168.1.2-254, to 192.169.1.3-254, so the address range is one increment above the Slave routers IP address."

Because I've got the slave at 10.1 and the master at 10.250, could I just make the DHCP ranger 10.2 to 10.254?

And, of course, do you think this is why I can't get to the internet?

It'll be a few days before I can get to this. Also, I can end up just following your instructions exactly, but was trying to avoid remapping everything with the slave router. Might come to that though.

Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated (needless to say, I'm flying at the outer edge of my skill set...).

Thanks,

George

Update 3/7/2012. Success! Here's what I did on the off chance it helps someone else. I think the ZoneAlarm z100g made it trickier because it has a high security filtering of both incoming and outgoing traffic. Obviously all I wanted was a slightly more capable switch with wifi.

I connected the two routers LAN1 to LAN1 (not sure if that's critical, but a suggestion from a tech).
On the z100g on both LAN and WLAN, I disabled DHCP and Hide NAT.
I changed the DNS lookup to the 1000n.

That got me to the Internet through a wired LAN -- so a major success. But WLAN didn't access the Internet (though could see & ping the whole network).

So I created four rules to and from WLAN / to and from gateway & bridge. That worked.

Hope that helps someone!

George

greeotb

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hello,

I live in a house with 10 others (so more or less 10 computers, usually 5-6 connected). We have a connection of 50Mbps. Our internet is some times (many times) very slow. I need to refresh my page 4 times till it starts loading, while I know I am connected since my skype is on (green). Furthermore, we have agreed that we will not download during the day so that we don't suck the bandwith, but I suspect that (at least) one of my housemates does it. (It could be just my crazy head. Btw, is there a way to find out?)
We have a Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0 2-PORT Voice Gateway that gets internet from the TV cable (I mean, it is plugged in the TV socket). On that, there are some computers connected wired and some wirelessly. It has IP 192.168.1.1. On that there is a second router, a Linksys. It is connected LAN-WAN and has IP 192.168.0.1. The rest of us are connected on this router.
Now, I don't know who connected it like that, but what do u think of it as an idea? I mean, could it be that this way is causing the internet of one part of the network to be slow while the others are happy?
If someone connected to the first router is eg downloading, can it be that he/she sucks the internet of the rest? Or if someone in the subnet downloads, does he/she suck the internet of the others?
I could rearrange the second router to function just as a switch, but is this going to help?
Maybe we should create on subnet for half of the people and another one for the other half?

Thanks, :hello:

Lordsussix

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Really hoping you can provide me with some advice. My hous is wired with cat5e, terminating in the basement. My broadband modem is also in the basement. I currently have a wifi router connected to the modem, with several lan connections to various rooms upstairs. Problem is, the wifi reception is terrible upstairs, and I have many devices that I need on the same subnet. I have tried better attennas, but that hasn't helped much. I also bought an Asus rt-n56u, since it has a great reputation for range and speed.

The only yhing I can think of is to turn off the wifi radios of the basement router, but still use it for DHCP, etc. then, connect the Asus wifi router upstairs, using one of the wired jacks. That way, wifi coverage should be better. Problem is, I also need to connect hardwire device(s) via LAN in the room where the Asus would now be connected...open LAN ports on the Asus cant be used, since that router is connected via lan not wan...right?

Any advise on how I can accomplish what I need, without sacrificing network speed?

Gingeree162

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Hey there, in the old house I lived in we had the master/slave routers connected wirelessly (without the ethernet cable between the two)..

I wasn't the one that set up this connected so I wandered on your post to try and figure out how to do it, but your instructions end with the two being connected.

So my question is.. is there a way to create the master/slave routers with connected them via ethernet cable?

Let me know please.. been a very frustrating process.

-Casey

G

Over the web a non-public network system is regarded as a computer network which uses independent Ip place. All these IP addresses are typically useful for your home, office environment, and company LAN, every time world wide routable ips don't seem to be obligatory, or aren't obtainable for the supposed network group software programs. Non-public Ip settings were definitely initially characterized in order to postpone IPv4 ip address exhaustion, but are an additional aspect of the succeeding technology Ip Address, IPv6.

These types of ip addresses are labeled as non-public simply because they're not generally assigned, signifying they are certainly not used on any sort of corporation, and Ip address packages addressed by these may not be shifted on the common Online world. Everybody will use these types of ip addresses not having agreement from your native Internet registry. In case this type of non-public network group ought to get connected to the world wide web, it needs to utilize a NA Translator terminal, or even a proxies system.

Could I Reset my Modem Default Account information?

For starters, you can think about utilising totally different mixtures of passwords widely available on the web. It is sometimes more than enough to recognize who's the company, and additionally we will look for default sign on data for a exact wireless router model.

Source: http://www.192-168-21.com/

The final choice for you, basically functions is regarded as a devices reset. Each and every wireless router contains a devices reset control button. Simply just click that switch and keep it for about 30 seconds and in a few minutes your current wireless router will get back its manufacturing controls. After you've finished this test the default passwords we certainly have stated previously.

axxeon

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
HEY GUYS, I'M SORRY I HAVE A FULL TIME JOB NOW AND UNFORTUNATELY HAVE NO TIME TO REPLY TO YOUR MESSAGES, PLEASE SEEK HELP FROM OTHER TOMSHARDWARE MEMBERS, I HAVE NO TIME. THANKS GUYS!

alexander24

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am trying to connect my 3 hardisks (2TB,2TB,1TB) to my playstation 3. I currently have my TV connected to my Router(DSL-2750u) which is connected to my ps3. My 3G modem is connected to my router giving me internet on the TV, ps3 and wireless. I am trying to figure out what hardware I require now to enjoy my harddisks wirelessly. any solutions?

thanks,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.