**The Ultimate Modem/Router Setup Thread**

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe55

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
I have the following configuration:

Master Router: (R1) Bob2 - modem, wireless router, voip phone
located upstairs in office connected to office PC, printer
Slave Router: (R2) Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router downstairs in living room connected to hometheatre equipment (AV, TV, BD), storage on USB

Since it is a large house the wireless signal from R1 is not strong enough troughout the house, hence the second router was required. In addition I wanted a fast USB port to store music and movies for the theatre.

Option 1

R1 LAN to R2 LAN

Problem is I can't access the USB storage on R2

Option 2

R1 LAN to R2 WAN

Problem is I can't use airplay or remotely control AV via iphone when connected to R1 and I can't access the office PC or printer when connected to R2.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Joe

dcollins

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I just discovered for myself that my LAN doesn't have to be limited to the 10/100 speed of my ATT internet gateway. Here is how I propose to have gigabit connectivity between my office resources:

(10/100) Printer ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ NAS
^^^^^^ Mac2 - dumb Gigaswitch - 20 feet of cat5e - smart Gigaswitch - gateway -internet
^^^^^^ Mac3 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Mac1

("^" is not a connection ... pretend it's whitespace)

According to the reading I've done in this thread and in other places, this should work, and I should expect that my Gigabit equipped Macs and NAS will be able to talk to each other at the Gigabit rate. I should also expect there to be no problem with any device printing on my 10/100 equipped printer. (The reason for the extra switch and 20 foot cable is because of the size of my home office and where the computers need to be located in order for two people to be at work)

Is that correct?

aarondekar

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Hello,
I am having netgear JNR 1010 wifi router and I use Cablenet. the wire which carries internet is directly connected to my Desktop pc's LAN port without modem.
Is there any way to install this router without conecting to modem.

PLEASE HELP.

jhlem

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Axxeon,

My issue is that my smart TV isn't wireless capable. I need to either have a bridge or wired access. I would like to use my D-Link wireless router to do so. I have a westell modem/router upstairs and the TV is downstairs. Here's something else: The IP address on my modem is 10.0.0.1 and my router is 192.168.0.1. What I am able to do is have a secondary LAN on my router with the 192.168.x.x so I thought I would use that. I can't seem to figure out what to do to get this to work. I hope you can help me with this.
Thanks!

lodus13

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Hey, I'm wanting to try Chaining Two Networks Together in a Cascading Fashion (PPPoE configuration from the Router)

The reason I'm wanting to try this is because I'm currently having wireless connection issues from the modem/router I have now and I was wondering if I should just go to a store near town and buy the new Asus RT-AC66U Router and chain the two together and see how it works that way, or if I should call my ISP and ask for a replacement router/modem. So, what I'm really wondering here is if the slave router isn't all that great compared the the Asus router will it affect how it performs?

exmachina

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hi. I have no idea if this is the right place for this, but I live in an apartment with built in ethernet ports. In the closet of the master bedroom is where the router is housed. Problem is the master bedroom is at one end of the house while the living room is at the other, thus wifi is very weak in the living room. However there is an ethernet port on one of the walls of the living room. I was wondering if I can connect a second router to that ethernet wall so that wifi is stronger in the living room. Btw, the internet running the house is Verizon FiOS and it's the only internet service usable in these apartments. The crappy wireless router G router is theirs. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Daisoujou

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Thank you axxeon as this thread was one of the better guides available for cascading routers but I wanted to ask if there's a configuration where the master and slave routers are not required to have a ethernet cable connected to one another and maybe set the slave router as a repeater to enhance signal range. One of the issues I have is that my office is sort of a deadspot in terms of signal and I'd like the slave router to be placed in the office without requiring the cable run around the house.

stephenwales

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hi axxeon, it looks like you know this inside and out so hopefully thismis an easy one.

I have a setup whereby we have a telecoms cabinet in a cupboard just off our reception, it has a belkin n1 vision adsl router in it which works perfectly. We have a room at the far end of the building which has been rented out and now needs connectivity. The needs are small ( two laptops and a network printer) I have purchased a belkin N150 (cable version) which has the separate Internet port.

I can plug in a 1mt or 10mt cable from the N1 to the N150 internet port and it works perfectly, all lights are green, it establishes a WAN IP from the N1 and gives out IPs to a test laptop and also keeps the two networks seperate, so far so good.

However, when I ran a 50mt cable to the room at the far end and plug it in it just sits flashing orange on the Modem/WAN status light as if it's not getting a signal, the cable tests fine using a hand tester.

Is it a strength of signal problem I have? I've also used a Netgear 824 instead of the N1 Vision with no success.

VWFeature

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Very helpful. I found a problem- on a Belkin F5D7234 router, if you turn off DHCP and change the slave router address, there's no way to sign into the router again- it created an IP conflict; the computer I was using and the slave router now had the same IP. Works better to FIRST change the DHCP address pool to 192.168.2.3 to 192.168.2.100 so your machine has to have an IP different from the slave router at 192.168.2.2 , then change the address of the slave router, etc.

Oddly enough worked the same (didn't work) if I used the 'Use as an access point' setting in the router setup, and accepted the default address of 192.168.2.254 for the slave. Still couldn't login to the router. Had to reset.

Changing the address range first, then changing the address of the slave router, disabling DHCP, etc. worked like a champ, though.

Just a side note- be sure to set a good wireless password, mainly, long enough and obscure enough.
Thanks for your clear instructions!

Status
Not open for further replies.