'The Unspoken' With Oculus Touch, And Its Developer Speaks About Exclusivity And Lucid Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
It's too bad that this developer has chosen to become part of the fragmentation problem that Oculus has created. There's no way I'm going to reward Oculus for becoming destructive in their desperation to compete, so I'll never buy this game.

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Boy he dodged the exclusivity question with the poise of a politician. Formula: repeat core of question so that you think it's been answered, then complete the statement by addressing things that are at least slightly true, but equally vague and unrelated. You're not about to tell me that Insomniac Games (makers of popular series like Spyro the Dragon and Ratchet & Clank) can't find a publisher who would back them for both headsets.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
For what it's worth, I was actually much rougher on the subject with his compatriot at Insomniac, who I interviewed after playing 'Feral Rights'. Literally everyone I spoke to at E3, I pulled a quote from about the Oculus exclusivity issue. Is that something you guys would like to see done up as a piece?

-JP

Yeah that'd be great.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I really wish Oculus had decided to compete on the merits of the hardware and their echo system rather than exclusives. They could have easily had both seed money programs and even full-on investments without any of the negative publicity. Bad move after bad move on their part.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Oculus is the Publisher guys. They fully funded the whole game, every single cent. It's there right to have exclusives on this one. Toms question comparing the Oculus to a Mouse or keyboard is ludicrous. These are not peripherals. each HMD has it's own proprietary tracking system and their own API's.

@ComputerGuy72 Its a long play.. 2-3 years from now there will be 5-10 vr headsets and the market will become saturated. these companies can't afford to only sell 100,000 units here and there because everyone else is buying 100,000 units from 5 different device makers. This ensures that even if you buy the competition's product, you will be tempted to also buy oculus's product. Games and software are everything. the hardware doesnt do anything without it.

They don't have their own proprietary tracking system, haha. They are using technology that is available already for anyone that wants to create an HMD. What they have is the brand, which are trying to protect and grow. The "API", I'm not 100% sure of. The hardware interaction with software might be proprietary, but they are using HDMI and USB, so the transmission layers aren't. They are not using proprietary connectors nor any other form of proprietary stuff visible to me; and proprietary as in "home grown". Other than the software around the Oculus, I don't see anything else they can say it's fully from their own labs.

Just take a look at Razer's OSVR initiative and you will see what is "proprietary" and what isn't.

Cheers!

Xengre

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
I like this stuff. I'm looking forward to it impacting sports and fighting games, eventually, along with open world games that make you feel like Harry in Harry Potter or some other awesome magical world. What I really want is a non-controller standard MMORPG like .//hack with open PVP. This stuff can't mature fast enough for my wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.