The Week In Storage: SSDs Sales Surging, But Shortage May Be Upon Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
So is it safe to say by 2017 or 2018 we finally get price ratios cheaper than the HDDs we have today?

That is the million dollar question :) I think that it will depend upon the maturation of new HDD recording techniques, which increase HDD capacity and reduce price-per-GB. Seagate has shown off HAMR HDDs, which uses targeted heating via lasers to increase density. HAMR will enable HDDs up to 20TB (and beyond), which may allow HDDs to stay cost-competitive for some time.

It is important to remember that there is not enough flash-fabbing capacity now, or in the projected future, to even scratch at the amount of data that needs stored.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
what i need to make flash only system viable

1) 200-500gb boot drive (done)
2) 8tb storage drive (not even close)

once an 8tb flash drive comes along i may be able to use it, i may have so much data that i move to a higher rb requirement.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

theres the demand... maybe its also because of the tech? I mean just a year ago? not really familiar with the tech in the SSDs like 2D,3D NAND but for every new technique comes the need for a new manufacturing partner arises right? simplifying it down to again not producing enough for the "current gen" of tech in SSDs

robodan918

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
what i need to make flash only system viable

1) 200-500gb boot drive (done)
2) 8tb storage drive (not even close)

once an 8tb flash drive comes along i may be able to use it, i may have so much data that i move to a higher rb requirement.

Why not 500TB? or 80000TB?
Anything less is obviously not viable

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
When are they going to make an affordable 2TB SSD? That's the sweet spot for most gamers and pc enthusiast. Right now it doesn't make any sense to upgrade to an SSD unless you just want to install one game at a time.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

like I said cheaper than the HDDs price to GB ratio that we have right now...

god when does saturation of the SSD market ever reach so the prices finally goes down...

Status
Not open for further replies.