The Witcher 3 Announced, Hinted for Next-Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkjedi

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Unfortunately, the one worrying part about the combination of combat and open world gameplay with Wild Hunt is that enemies don’t scale with the player, meaning that certain areas will be left unexplored until late game stages.
I will buy this game just because of this. I love the fell of danger when you know you can't kill everything.

namtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I agree with wanderer11. Since Oblivion I've never enjoyed it when enemies scale with you. It made all your hard earned equipment feel rubbish. Besides I love exploring areas which might be extremely dangerous. Makes you actually remember the location to explore it later in search for.... treasure or whatever. As for extremely large open worlds? If they could keep the environment as beautiful and detailed as in Witcher 2 I don't mind. But I hope it doesn't water down the story.

G

I agree about no auto-scaling enemies, it's terrible to do that.

Add to this, please:

-Don't obsess over making it "mature" (read: "immature") and super hard-boiled to the point where the storyline is a complete turnoff, particularly when it comes to violence against women - I get it: it's ugly, and as such it is Not Entertaining In My Games, even if you give it proper treatment and emphasis in the story. Being in my early 30s, the increasing presence of these themes in games makes me uncomfortable and want to stop playing altogether.

-Don't let the console world ruin the gameplay and open-world feel (invisible barriers, over-scripted interactions, poor and unresponsive controls that cannot be configured, inbalanced gameplay, poor menus and cumbersome interfaces with zero feedback).

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I'm also of the opinion that an open world that does NOT scale with the player's level is superior to one that does. Although I liked Skyrim's balanced approach to the problem, there's many games where no scaling works well, like Monster Hunter, as a random example. I'm confident that CD Projekt will get it right for their game.

What I am disappointed about, though, is... No more womanizing?! *sigh* Really?!

tech4

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Agreed. This is a problem with scaling both ways too, I don't want the strongest creatures roaming right outside of every town just because I gained a few levels and I don't want some Undead Wasteland to be filled with deer and bunnies just because I decide to go exploring early in the game.

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Why would it be? Both TW1 and TW2 were PC games first, and I can't imagine TW3 turning into a crappy console port...[/citation]

I can't see that happening. CD Projekt RED's been PC-first about its games in the past. And with The Witcher 2's port to Xbox 360, the developer took months to retool the entire game to be fit for consoles. I don't see them getting sloppy here. :)

- Catherine Cai

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Now this is some good news, I still need to finish the first Witcher. Good enough I still have to buy the second one just on faith of how good it is based on the first. Now a third one coming out, and it will be open world where they don't scale with you so if you wonder in too deep you can get killed at a moments notice. Yup they got my attention, I hope they don't change things up so there holding your hand to try to make gameplay easy anytime soon like what most games are doing now days.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Loved Witcher 2, Witcher 1 was a bit crude, but still enjoyable. Only recently have gaming PCs been able to max out W2 (with the system-killer ubersampling option on) with smooth framerates, so I cant wait to see what they have in store for 3. My poor, poor computer, LOL.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]wanderer11[/nom]I'm glad the enemies won't scale to my level. That makes exploring exciting knowing I could run into something that will one hit me.[/citation]Hate to break ur joy.

Unfortunately, the one worrying part about the combination of combat and open world gameplay with Wild Hunt is that enemies don’t scale with the player, meaning that certain areas will be left unexplored until late game stages.
lol that means it will be something like Assassin creed, where the late game area will be forbid by the game itself instead of completely open lol

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Hate to break ur joy.lol that means it will be something like Assassin creed, where the late game area will be forbid by the game itself instead of completely open lol[/citation]

No. You're free to wander where you please. You'll just be one-shotted very, very often.

- Catherine Cai

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Why would it be? Both TW1 and TW2 were PC games first, and I can't imagine TW3 turning into a crappy console port...[/citation]

if cd project red was owned by a crappy publisher, i would be worried.

---------------------

i would love a game where instead of rpg elements being required to make you stronger, better weapons/armor and more skill in useing them makes you deadlier...

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Im so happy that its dx11.1

More happy that i skipped 5xx and 6xx geforce so that when i buy the 780ti i will be more than set for most games on ultra from 2014 to 2016

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
The problem I had with Witcher2 was that most of my choices in Witcher1 did not reflect on the story in Witcher2. I found it broke my immersion, and I left the game installed but not played for a few months till I got in better mood to continue, with the past choices as presented to me.

I hope Witcher3 takes more into account my choices, though I did not feel any particular affection towards any particular NPC of Witcher2 and would not really mind it this time if everything starts exactly the same independent of what choices were made in the past games.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]The problem I had with Witcher2 was that most of my choices in Witcher1 did not reflect on the story in Witcher2. I found it broke my immersion, and I left the game installed but not played for a few months till I got in better mood to continue, with the past choices as presented to me.I hope Witcher3 takes more into account my choices, though I did not feel any particular affection towards any particular NPC of Witcher2 and would not really mind it this time if everything starts exactly the same independent of what choices were made in the past games.[/citation]

I also agree that the transfered choices isn't as vast as it was in the Mass Effect games but when I played it and was in the last chapter, I found that dude from the Order of the Flaming Rose whom I sided with on the first game, I think his name is Sigfried. He let me use the store in their camp lol. The choice don't really matter but I guess one can't expect much from a small gaming company.

Status
Not open for further replies.