The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Action/RPG Goes Gold For PC, Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Previously, Badowski said that the game will have "extensive" replay value because players can choose between storylines that exclude one another in a single playthrough.

I still don't see how disabling part of the game on your first playthough is a good thing though.

jamus34

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Even though it is 'gamey' it makes sense to me.

For example, how realistic is it that you complete a task (quest) when you know there were 2-3 other people around that also had quests. Do you think they would just wait around for you? Even better would be to have random dice roll logic built in to see if maybe the person completes the quest on their own, they die on the quest or they find a different NPC (possibly a rival) and they either complete the task or die.

Probably a pretty good feat of programming but if you plan it where it doesn't seem like an A,B,C choice it would feel a lot more organic than the person just waiting around at the same place.

TNT27

Distinguished
I want to see something like this or Skyrim, beautiful graphics, but just like in Diablo 2/LOD/3 it randomizes the map every time you play again. Only randomizes when you start a new character kind of thing.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Prepare for updates as I'm sure a game this massive will have bugs. It does look to be an awesome experience though.
Requirements I'm good on, except the video card. I wonder if I will still be able to cut it with a 7770 ghz edition since there is a R9 equivalent?

sc14s

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
My computer has the recommended specs now <.< Not sure how I feel about that, means my system isn't what it used to be a guess since it used to be well over the recommended (i7 3770k + 770)

Mike Friesen

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Previously, Badowski said that the game will have "extensive" replay value because players can choose between storylines that exclude one another in a single playthrough.

I still don't see how disabling part of the game on your first playthough is a good thing though.

I would hope that he means that quests will have many different paths - you head into town, help a woman escape from the guards, and that prevents you from doing the "help the guards capture female vampire" quest.

However, if collecting 3 troll's eyes prevents you from going and killing SpiderMonster #3, that would be lame and arbitrary.

demonkoryu

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

If, for example, you kill a character you get another storyline than when you let him live. How would you possibly get both in one playthrough?

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Well, think of it this way> there were great games back in the days, that have several paths to complete a certain goal.
Like Baldurs Gate II, for example - you needed to go on a island and in order to do that, you had to secure a ship for a island sightseeing. How would you do that? Help the Shadow thieves or perhaps seek the help of a wonderful damsel in distress. Bodhi is sure hot, but do you have the strength to save her heart?
And when you came back from Spellhold? You had several ways on how to return back and if you chose one, the other remained closed...
You were forced to make many choices and that made you wonder: "what would happen, if I have chosen another path? If I had a different party? Would it be more fun if Korgan didn't had Aerie to pick on? If Viconia didn't played her game of wits with the mighty ranger and his miniature giant space hamster? If Yoshimo, the charming thief, wasn't part of your party? What about Edwin? Mazzy? Jaheira? |What stories do they tell you? What romances have they in store?
And so on...

Believe me, it was way more fun than most of todays games including Skyrim and it's five and half linear storyline quests.

Damn! I soooooo wish the Witcher can recreate the atmosphere, the feel, the freedom of choice /and the consequences of it/...

Divade

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hey all :) Was wondering if i could get anymore power from my rig for this game, been waiting a long time for its arrival!! Can i overclock, is it worth it????? Would love to try and max out for this open world, any advice??

Intel i5 3570k 3.4ghz
asrock extreme 4 atx lga1155
corsair vengenance 16gb
sapphire hd 7970 3gb
seagate 1tb sata 2 5400rpm 2.5''
crucial m4 128gb internal
Antec hcg 620w
cooler master hyper 212 evo 120mm

Divade,
That's still a fine system.
Overclocking the GPU may give some benefit, the CPU likely not. Really, your best results will be carefully tweaking the settings.

If SCREEN TEAR is an issue then I suggest using RadeonPro and aim for 60FPS (for 60Hz monitor) using Dynamic VSYNC. Tweak to maintain 60FPS at least 90% of the time (you'll see what I mean).

Divade

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

Divade

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Photonboy, thanks will look in to it. Seems the gpu is the best to squeeze a bit more out. So looking forward to The Witcher 3. Thanks

leeb2013

Honorable
funny, how despite every man and his dog saying an I5 is best for gaming and a hyper-threading I7 is pointless for gaming, that recent games including this one are starting to recommend an I7, an over-clockable I5 is the minimum required. Does this mean hyper-threading now does have some use in games?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Anyone else notice that an i5 2500K and a Phenom II 940 don't match up at all on the Tom's Hardware CPU Hierarchy chart? Which is interesting, because if that chart is accurate then I own 7 desktops capable of playing this game from a CPU standpoint, but only two can play it from a graphics standpoint (DX11 - R9 280x's). All seven have eight gigs of ram, several only have PCI-E 2.0. I'm wondering, does this game work with DX10 at all because if it does it would be fantastic.

sc14s

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
If you are talking about any game previous to this year (And still most titles released do not use multithreading overly much) But yes, there are a few, mostly triple aaa titles that recommend the extra threads.. and if you look at the returns its typically only a few fps, if that for the most part. So not really much of an issue really yet. So there are returns, but only small ones so far.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

The i5 and Phenom II may not match up on the Hardware Hierarchy Chart, but they do match up in supported instruction sets and number of cores; at least in regards of what this game needs.

What I'm curious about is if an i3 ivy bridge or haswell would be able to run the game since they're a generation newer than the i5, but are 2 core + hyperthreaded instead of 4 cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.