The word "Professional" disappeared...

I purchased a brand new computer from Dell about a year ago, and Windows XP
Professional already pre-installed in it. However, recently I found it
necessary to delete everything from my hard drive and to re-install Windows
XP all over again. I did not register Windows XP Professional the second
time, and decided to wait. But apparently the computer registered it for me
already. Anyway, I have not had any trouble with the computer at all, with
the only exception of the word "Professional" missing when I booted it up.
The computer screen now says "Windows XP" only. Did I do anything wrong? Is
there any way I can remedy this minor problem?

Hi

Have you installed SP2? If so, that is normal - nothing to worry about.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM"
<SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a brand new computer from Dell about a year ago, and Windows XP
> Professional already pre-installed in it. However, recently I found it
> necessary to delete everything from my hard drive and to re-install
> Windows
> XP all over again. I did not register Windows XP Professional the second
> time, and decided to wait. But apparently the computer registered it for
> me
> already. Anyway, I have not had any trouble with the computer at all,
> with
> the only exception of the word "Professional" missing when I booted it up.
> The computer screen now says "Windows XP" only. Did I do anything wrong?
> Is
> there any way I can remedy this minor problem?

Yes, I installed SP2. Also, this morning I found a message that says "No
Direct 3D Found" floating in the computer screen. I had recently installed a
3D screen saver. What do you think it mean? What can I do? Is this a major
problem???

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have you installed SP2? If so, that is normal - nothing to worry about.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM"
> <SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I purchased a brand new computer from Dell about a year ago, and Windows XP
> > Professional already pre-installed in it. However, recently I found it
> > necessary to delete everything from my hard drive and to re-install
> > Windows
> > XP all over again. I did not register Windows XP Professional the second
> > time, and decided to wait. But apparently the computer registered it for
> > me
> > already. Anyway, I have not had any trouble with the computer at all,
> > with
> > the only exception of the word "Professional" missing when I booted it up.
> > The computer screen now says "Windows XP" only. Did I do anything wrong?
> > Is
> > there any way I can remedy this minor problem?

peter

Go to Start/Run and enter dxdiag then click OK. Page 2 - check your
directx files are ok, page 3 - there's an entry for Direct 3D...enable it.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
> Yes, I installed SP2. Also, this morning I found a message that says "No
> Direct 3D Found" floating in the computer screen. I had recently
> installed a
> 3D screen saver. What do you think it mean? What can I do? Is this a
> major
> problem???
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have you installed SP2? If so, that is normal - nothing to worry about.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM"
>> <SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I purchased a brand new computer from Dell about a year ago, and Windows
>> >XP
>> > Professional already pre-installed in it. However, recently I found it
>> > necessary to delete everything from my hard drive and to re-install
>> > Windows
>> > XP all over again. I did not register Windows XP Professional the
>> > second
>> > time, and decided to wait. But apparently the computer registered it
>> > for
>> > me
>> > already. Anyway, I have not had any trouble with the computer at all,
>> > with
>> > the only exception of the word "Professional" missing when I booted it
>> > up.
>> > The computer screen now says "Windows XP" only. Did I do anything
>> > wrong?
>> > Is
>> > there any way I can remedy this minor problem?

Hello Peter,
Thanks for the response. I did exactly as you instructed, however I was not
able to find a file titled "Direct 3D" I did find a bunch of dll files, such
as "d3d8.dll", "d3d8thk.dll", "d3d9.dll", "d3dm.dll", "d3dm700.dll",
"d3dramp.dll" "d3drm.dll", d3dxof.dll", and "d3dmesh.dll". Which one of
these shuold I enable, and how do it enable it???
Regards,
Henry