Theater Live Sound - Fade vs Mute

renigadecrew

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
More of an opinionated question. If you were doing a musical and had to bring up body mics after a scene change would you use the mute button to turn it on or use the fader to bring it up

Ralston18

Titan
Just "un-muting is likely to catch something "unexpected" being said by an actor.

I would use a fader and bring it up as the actors are notified accordingly.

That process gives you the option to hold a bit if there is some background chatter that the audience should not hear.

renigadecrew

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
Exactly my point!

My sound director made me do it the mute way and I never do it that way. He's also the guy who thinks when a mic "red zones" that you don't have to turn down the gain and that "gain is a way to get it to aim around a certain fader level"

His reasoning is what happens if you forget to bring the volume up. I said if I miss a cue its not obvious and he said "well don't miss your cues" lol thank god I don't have to go through this again

I have another play in a week and I am going back to my way.

renigadecrew

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
I think he just didn't want to overcomplicate the kid who was working with me. It was his first show and we ran half and half so he got some expierence. I have much more than him. The funny thing is the director had to lecture the kids about not talking backstage because mics can be live. The reason that happened is I have to unmute 1 or 2 lines ahead so it wont sound stupid vs I can just fade as they go on stage.