There Will Be a Firefox Made Specifically for Windows 8 Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why programmers like me want Metro to fail. Because of the new GUI, you are going to have two versions of most applications: One for the Metro UI, and one for older versions of windows. As a result, you have to maintain two seperate builds, which WILL lead to a lot more bugs in both.

I pray Win8 falls flat on its face.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I use to only use Firefox until Windows 7 came along. Because it didn't work all that well at the time, I then, went onto Google Chrome, and then discovered Nightly builds of Firefox x64. Then, discovered Large Address Aware. I'm back on regular 32-bit Firefox. I no longer have the same issues I did when I first got Windows 7, closer to its launch.

If history repeats itself, Firefox will be a dud for Windows 8, initially, thus crash repeatedly.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]how about moving toward 64 bit coding?it's 21st Century, dammit!!![/citation]
We will move to 64bit computing when 128bit is out :)

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]This is why programmers like me want Metro to fail. Because of the new GUI, you are going to have two versions of most applications: One for the Metro UI, and one for older versions of windows. As a result, you have to maintain two seperate builds, which WILL lead to a lot more bugs in both.I pray Win8 falls flat on its face.[/citation]
Never heard of model-view-controller, then? At any rate, you could have said the same thing about command line apps versus windowed ones 20 years ago. Saying we shouldn't change anything because it could lead to more bugs is about the silliest thing you could say, especially as a programmer (I'm gonna go ahead and guess you're not a professional). EVERYTHING you do increases the risk of bugs when you're working on a project with more than a couple thousand lines of code.

As far as Firefox is concerned, they're using a new browser engine in the Metro version, which will likely make its way into the plain old classic version sooner rather than later. At that point, you only need to maintain separate view layers, which is pretty simple and has no chance of introducing extra bugs into the core of the browser beyond the initial change to the new engine.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Bit of a non-story really, I mean do we really expect them not to produce one? There will be a browser for W8 Metro for Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome and IE, to not get on board this bandwagon would be suicide when its customer reach will be in the tens if not hundreds of millions over time.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I use to only use Firefox until Windows 7 came along. Because it didn't work all that well at the time, I then, went onto Google Chrome, and then discovered Nightly builds of Firefox x64. Then, discovered Large Address Aware. I'm back on regular 32-bit Firefox. I no longer have the same issues I did when I first got Windows 7, closer to its launch.If history repeats itself, Firefox will be a dud for Windows 8, initially, thus crash repeatedly.[/citation]

nightly builds thou arent going to be fully stable and as far as people mentioning 64 bit...
what are u really going to gain with a 64bit browser?

I like firefox, and mozilla, they arent a huge dominating corporation

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Really? Is this shocking and newsworthy? If a company/developer wants to make a product run on Windows 8 proper, it will be METRO... duh.

Its almost like saying "Office 2010 will run on Windows 7".

PS: If Opera is 100% web compatible, why does it have problems with Tomshardware when it comes to posting?

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]The model is not responsible for the shirt - that was edited (many times for many browsers). She has a site on MySpace.[/citation]

MySpace -> The ugliest and worst sites on the web. A nightmare for a web designer. :/

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Forget about IE,Firefox and winfrey Oprah. Just get Google Chrome.[/citation]
Yes, I want everything in my life to pass through Google's hands. That'll be good. What business is Google in again?

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]Yes, I want everything in my life to pass through Google's hands. That'll be good. What business is Google in again?[/citation]I heard they're involved heavily in the mining industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS