Question There's a problem with sound on my Lenovo Ideapad 330 15ICH (WIN10)

Apr 19, 2019
It shows an x next to the sound icon on the bottom right taskbar, when i click on it, it runs a diagnostic which can't detect the problem. When i open up device manager, I can't even find a sound driver. The F1, F2 and F3 (volume control) keys aren't working either. I tried installing the audio driver but that didn't change anything, it still didn't show up in device manager. I'd be greatful if you guys could provide me with a solution for this issue, it's a fairly new Lenovo 330 15ICH laptop.

OK. Let me suggest something different to troubleshoot a Windows software problem.

Boot from an Kubuntu live CD. That is, the Ubuntu installer image will present an option to "Try Kubuntu" as opposed to "install Ubuntu." In addition to letting people test Ubuntu itself this can be used for other things, like troubleshooting. Download the current iso image from kubuntu.org and use a program like Rufus to create a bootable thumb drive. Most Lenovo laptops have a "Novo button" which starts the laptop to a selection of startup options (BIOS settings, boot menu, normal startup). Shut down and with the bootable USB in press that key and use the boot emnu option to load the USB stick. Once in kubuntu search for "Audio and Video" in the settings app and try to play a test tone

Apr 19, 2019
OK. Let me suggest something different to troubleshoot a Windows software problem.

Boot from an Kubuntu live CD. That is, the Ubuntu installer image will present an option to "Try Kubuntu" as opposed to "install Ubuntu." In addition to letting people test Ubuntu itself this can be used for other things, like troubleshooting. Download the current iso image from kubuntu.org and use a program like Rufus to create a bootable thumb drive. Most Lenovo laptops have a "Novo button" which starts the laptop to a selection of startup options (BIOS settings, boot menu, normal startup). Shut down and with the bootable USB in press that key and use the boot emnu option to load the USB stick. Once in kubuntu search for "Audio and Video" in the settings app and try to play a test tone
Okay, I tried it and couldn't hear anything when i played the test tone. Does that mean my chip is dead? And what can i do about it?

Apr 19, 2019
If the sound chip is bad, the repair entails replacing the whole motherboard since it's integrated. On the other hand, there are USB sound cards available. These wouldn't power the internal speakers but would give sound over their own audio ports.
I still have warranty for the laptop, I think I should be able to get them to fix it, thanks.