[SOLVED] Thermal pads for MSI GeForce RTX 2080 VENTUS V2 ?

Apr 28, 2024
Hello guys.

I have an MSI GeForce RTX 2080 VENTUS V2 (6 years old) and every times it hits 1800mhz for like 1-3 mins, it starts to throttle down to 1500mhz because it hits 86 degrees.

I have read dozens of articles and checked everyting regarding dust, airflow, adjusting fans with MSI Afterburner so they spin 100% and still not working.

It is my first time trying to change the thermal pads so my questions is:

Should the pads be the exact same thickness as the image below?

Its hard to find all the sizes for the thermal pads and I can't even get the correct size here in Denmark?

Is it allowed to stack the thermal pads to ex. hit the size 2.50mm?

I think this going to be my last try for getting the GPU to perform or else I'll consider buying a new GPU
(a 4070 TI Super).

Hope you guys can help :)

Thermal pads 1

Thermal pads 2

Lutfij

Titan
Yes. They can be higher in terms of quality and heat dissipation but you need to make sure the pads are exactly the same dimensions otherwise the cooling assembly for the card won't go on the right way.

Its hard to find all the sizes for the thermal pads and I can't even get the correct size here in Denmark?
Maybe reach out to these guys;

I have an MSI GeForce RTX 2080 VENTUS V2 (6 years old) and every times it hits 1800mhz for like 1-3 mins, it starts to throttle down to 1500mhz because it hits 86 degrees.
Can you please state the make and model of your case, the number of fans in your build and their orientation?

Apr 28, 2024
Yes. They can be higher in terms of quality and heat dissipation but you need to make sure the pads are exactly the same dimensions otherwise the cooling assembly for the card won't go on the right way.

Maybe reach out to these guys;

Can you please state the make and model of your case, the number of fans in your build and their orientation?
Thank for your response.

I have also considered to just put thermal paste on the chip but if the thermal pads are melted away I have a problem :)

I have pasted my case (Corsair Obsidian 750D - Full tower) so you can see the airflow. (sorry i know my cables are a mess :)

Even with the side taken off the GPU still throttle.

zuljinzu-case.png

I made a "stress test" and took a image so you can see when its performing. As you can see it makes throttling many times because of the heat.

Test.png

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There shouldn't be any relation between the original pads and the operating temperatures of the gpu core. Either:
-Airflow setup is working against the gpu cooler.
That card's finstack is oriented differently from most other AIB models. That affects the direction the exhaust goes. Instead of towards the motherboard + the case's side panel, this one is towards the rear + the front of the case, the latter bit causing needless turbulence with any front intake setup.

-Gpu cooler has collected a fair bit of dust over time.
One pic implies that the PC, and thus the gpu cooler, isn't being cleaned often. Even if dust filters are being used, ya still gotta get in there every now and then and wipe it down/blow it out.

-Airflow around the gpu isn't so good.
Could be a combination of the previous points.

-Gpu cooler wasn't very capable to begin with.
Card vendors tend to do the bare minimum with their lowest product tiers, providing barely adequate coolers and lower maximum power limits. This means you have less leeway to work with - shouldn't let the card get too much dust, try to avoid a stuffy case.

Apr 28, 2024
There shouldn't be any relation between the original pads and the operating temperatures of the gpu core. Either:
-Airflow setup is working against the gpu cooler.
That card's finstack is oriented differently from most other AIB models. That affects the direction the exhaust goes. Instead of towards the motherboard + the case's side panel, this one is towards the rear + the front of the case, the latter bit causing needless turbulence with any front intake setup.

-Gpu cooler has collected a fair bit of dust over time.
One pic implies that the PC, and thus the gpu cooler, isn't being cleaned often. Even if dust filters are being used, ya still gotta get in there every now and then and wipe it down/blow it out.

-Airflow around the gpu isn't so good.
Could be a combination of the previous points.

-Gpu cooler wasn't very capable to begin with.
Card vendors tend to do the bare minimum with their lowest product tiers, providing barely adequate coolers and lower maximum power limits. This means you have less leeway to work with - shouldn't let the card get too much dust, try to avoid a stuffy case.

I get your point and i should be more clear. :grinning:

I also got this article running:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/disappointed-pc-performance-in-counterstrike-2.3843411/

Message taken from my other post above:
I have cleaned my fans / AIO radiator and gpu fan from dust but it is still the same?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have cleaned my fans / AIO radiator and gpu fan from dust but it is still the same?
When that happens, or is observed, then the issue can still be points 1 and 4 I mentioned before, about how front air intake is colliding with the gpu heatsink's front exhaust, and the gpu cooler being barely adequate.

Test with the front case fans out, and again with them in exhaust.
If there is no real change after these and the cleaning, then the gpu cooler is the weakest link.

Apr 28, 2024
When that happens, or is observed, then the issue can still be points 1 and 4 I mentioned before, about how front air intake is colliding with the gpu heatsink's front exhaust, and the gpu cooler being barely adequate.

Test with the front case fans out, and again with them in exhaust.
If there is no real change after these and the cleaning, then the gpu cooler is the weakest link.

Okay I will try that and thank you.

If we say that the GPU cooler is the weakest link is there a good GPU cooler that you can recommend and is it possible to reuse that GPU cooler for the next GPU card i buy?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If we say that the GPU cooler is the weakest link is there a good GPU cooler that you can recommend and is it possible to reuse that GPU cooler for the next GPU card i buy?
The available options fell off after the GTX 10 series.
-There's deshrouding - that's the simplest/easiest option.
It's where you remove the gpu shroud + its fans and tie some case fans to it. I'm not sure if it'll do enough here; if the issue is the heatsink/finstack screwing with cooling.
It's quite something that the front + rear exhausting gpu heatsinks are only seen on the lowest product tiers...

-Rajintek Morpheus 8057.
You'll need to supply the case fans, plus gpu support bracket/stand for it, but the device below the gpu in your earlier photo likely won't fit anymore.

Apr 28, 2024
The available options fell off after the GTX 10 series.
-There's deshrouding - that's the simplest/easiest option.
It's where you remove the gpu shroud + its fans and tie some case fans to it. I'm not sure if it'll do enough here; if the issue is the heatsink/finstack screwing with cooling.
It's quite something that the front + rear exhausting gpu heatsinks are only seen on the lowest product tiers...

-Rajintek Morpheus 8057.
You'll need to supply the case fans, plus gpu support bracket/stand for it, but the device below the gpu in your earlier photo likely won't fit anymore.
Okay thanks.

One thing i was thinking about.

Im sitting in a little room where the avg. temp is like 25 degrees in the room. Can that affect my GPU going so hot and then thermal throttle when running 1800mzh and also cause bad airflow/cooling??

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Okay thanks.

One thing i was thinking about.

Im sitting in a little room where the avg. temp is like 25 degrees in the room. Can that affect my GPU going so hot and then thermal throttle when running 1800mzh and also cause bad airflow/cooling??
Room ambient isn't what most components get fed by - it's case ambient, and that value is always warmer. How much warmer, varies between everyone's setups, and it affects min and max operating temperatures at almost a 1 to 1 rate.
For example:
Sample A has a case ambient of 30C, so I can expect nothing to ever go below that. Play Cyberpunk for a bit, with the gpu core seeing a max of 75C. [Again, this is all just throwing numbers out there to give you an idea.]
Sample B's case ambient is 40C, and while playing the same game, it's max is 85C.

I don't think 25C is bad for room ambient, but then again, I've been living in a subtropical climate for years.

Keep in mind that it's ideal to have air flowing in a single direction, or as straightforward as possible. That helps avoid stagnant air zones or collisions, which can increase temperatures.
For most cases out there, that's in the front, and out the back + curved upwards.
Most AIB gpus dump their waste heat inside the case, but it's at the sides, where some of it gets carried up and out the rear + roof. You can tell the direction of the exhaust air by the direction the finstack is pointing.
Even though you have the usual in the front, out the back + roof setup, half of the Ventus' cooler is blowing towards the front of the case, causing a traffic(air) collision. Air can stagnate, and feed back into the cooler... OR, the front case fans are strong enough that they are preventing air from exiting that way...

Apr 28, 2024
Hello guys

A quick update and I think my problem is solved now.

The thermal paste on the GPU die was almost gone and needed a repaste.

I did a repase on my GPU and luckly the thermal pads was so fine even after 6 years so I ended up with only change the termal pase and now i got temp like 70-80 (after what game i load) on full speed (even OCed now) and NO thermal throttling YAY :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio_buckeye