Question Thermal pads size for EVGA 3090 FTW3

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Hey TH,

So a few months back, i bought a slight mined EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra it works splendidly but its temps are on the higher side. I have a strong reason to believe its thermal pads needs changing. how do i find out the right size for the thermal pads?

Last edited:

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Hey OCN,
We're not Overlcock.net, we're Tom'sHardware.

Instead of changing pads, might want to see if you can see if the VBIOS was tampered with. That might give you clues if the VBIOS might be the cause of said higher temps. Also, a mined card isn't a good investment, regardless of it being mined minimally or heavily.

God i am so embarrassed now.

moving on to the original question, no the VBIOs is the same as the original one. i made sure of that

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
What proof do you have that thermal pads need changing, and not something else?
What is the temperature gap between the gpu core and hot spot?
What does memory junction get up to?
Under load results, of course.

You are right i need proof. The reason why i need the pads to change is that i want to change the paste of my GPU and i have a strong reason to believe that when i open it up the pads will tear up they might be worn out.

so i ran Unigene Superposition Stress Test Benchmark at 8K i got these temps on GPUZ, mind you when it is summer here the ambient temp will be really high

FeRL4BG.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You are right i need proof. The reason why i need the pads to change is that i want to change the paste of my GPU and i have a strong reason to believe that when i open it up the pads will tear up they might be worn out.

so i ran Unigene Superposition Stress Test Benchmark at 8K i got these temps on GPUZ, mind you when it is summer here the ambient temp will be really high

[image]
78C gpu core, 90C hot spot, for a difference of 12C... that's actually GOOD, FYI. Between 10-20C is typical.
Memory is also good at 90C - the limit is 105C: https://www.micron.com/products/ultra-bandwidth-solutions/gddr6x
All three temperature curves are near identical, that's also good - granted, the Superposition benchmark isn't very long.

I believe there's nothing wrong and changing the pads shouldn't be done... if there is a problem, I suspect case ambient temperatures; the temperature of the air going right into the gpu cooler.
After playing for some time, the gpu will have increased this temperature, and thus the cooler has to work with warmer air.
You need to use air conditioning(maybe you already do, IDK), use software to lower gpu power limit, or both, for the greatest effect in high(er) ambient environments.

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
78C gpu core, 90C hot spot, for a difference of 12C... that's actually GOOD, FYI. Between 10-20C is typical.
Memory is also good at 90C - the limit is 105C: https://www.micron.com/products/ultra-bandwidth-solutions/gddr6x
All three temperature curves are near identical, that's also good - granted, the Superposition benchmark isn't very long.

I believe there's nothing wrong and changing the pads shouldn't be done... if there is a problem, I suspect case ambient temperatures; the temperature of the air going right into the gpu cooler.
After playing for some time, the gpu will have increased this temperature, and thus the cooler has to work with warmer air.
You need to use air conditioning(maybe you already do, IDK), use software to lower gpu power limit, or both, for the greatest effect in high(er) ambient environments.

Ok i will not change the Pads but i want to change the Thermal paste, how much chance is there that the thermal pads will tear off once the cooler is removed? And yes i do have air conditioning

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok i will not change the Pads but i want to change the Thermal paste
Why? The screenshot shows good numbers. Seriously. As long as you run the air conditioning during the summer, it'll be fine.

What is the case, by the way?

how much chance is there that the thermal pads will tear off once the cooler is removed?
I don't know - probably no one knows.
Warm the card up for a bit before you try to remove the cooler, then gently wiggle the cooler during the separation process.

Last edited:

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Why? The screenshot shows good numbers. Seriously. As long as you run the air conditioning during the summer, it'll be fine.

What is the case, by the way?

I don't know - probably no one knows.
Warm the card up for a bit before you try to remove the cooler, then gently wiggle the cooler during the separation process.

I have a corsair 1000D it has eleven 120mm fans in the front as intake, three extra as the radiator is mounted in the front.

Five fans as exhaust, two are 120mm at the rear and three are 140mm on the top.