[SOLVED] Thermal paste leaked on CPU..

Solution
In about 6-8 years it'll get kinda doughy and not so tacky anymore.

Paste itself is an insulator. It's the reason why it's sorta recommended to use as absolutely little as possible. It's only purpose is to act as a medium, a body to hold the silicates and other minerals etc that are good thermal conductors. So it's perfectly OK for paste to dry out. However, dry paste has no stickyness to it, so if you break the seal, it's done, it won't reseal itself. Kinda like the caulking around your bathtub is good, even dry, but tear it, and it's time to fix it cuz it doesn't re-stick. And, unfortunately, it doesn't take much to break that seal. Vibrations from the fan, a small bump when cleaning etc is all it takes. It's a common theme 'help, I...
Will my CPU did if I don't? I really don't want to mess it up I thought about just leaving to drive and clean it the next time I want to change CPU...

Even if it dries now what do you think will happen the second the CPU heats up in use?

You won't be "cleaning it" if you replace the CPU, you will be removing it and putting on new thermal paste, and hopefully reading a bit about how much to use first.

Using a small thing like a Qtip or a small pipe cleaner with stiff handle like these to reach https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Drink...+pipe+cleaner&qid=1564621428&s=gateway&sr=8-6 You can just blow out any chunks that fall down.

The other issue is that if you used that much thermal paste, you would have make the heat transfer worse and you will have higher heat, although in most cases nothing to worry about.

Reactions: DMAN999

UncleFelow

Prominent
Jul 30, 2019
Even if it dries now what do you think will happen the second the CPU heats up in use?

You won't be "cleaning it" if you replace the CPU, you will be removing it and putting on new thermal paste, and hopefully reading a bit about how much to use first.

Using a small thing like a Qtip or a small pipe cleaner with stiff handle like these to reach https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Drink...+pipe+cleaner&qid=1564621428&s=gateway&sr=8-6 You can just blow out any chunks that fall down.

The other issue is that if you used that much thermal paste, you would have make the heat transfer worse and you will have higher heat, although in most cases nothing to worry about.
Thank you kindly but I already put the PC together I can't reach that place anymore I'll just hope that it'll be ok and count on the non conductivity of the paste and doesn't thermal paste dry off with time? Isn't that why we replace it?.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In about 6-8 years it'll get kinda doughy and not so tacky anymore.

Paste itself is an insulator. It's the reason why it's sorta recommended to use as absolutely little as possible. It's only purpose is to act as a medium, a body to hold the silicates and other minerals etc that are good thermal conductors. So it's perfectly OK for paste to dry out. However, dry paste has no stickyness to it, so if you break the seal, it's done, it won't reseal itself. Kinda like the caulking around your bathtub is good, even dry, but tear it, and it's time to fix it cuz it doesn't re-stick. And, unfortunately, it doesn't take much to break that seal. Vibrations from the fan, a small bump when cleaning etc is all it takes. It's a common theme 'help, I cleaned my pc and now my temps are crazy high! Did I break something?' Yes, you broke the seal on the thermal paste when you messed with the cpu fan.

Solution