Thermal Paste May Have Gotten On Processor Pins

Aug 4, 2018
When I went to remove my CPU from my motherboard, both of which were new, the thermal paste had spread but not dried, so that when lifting it I may have gotten the teeniest amount of thermal paste onto one or more of the pins. I'm talking microscopic, or nearly so. What should I do at this point? My understanding is that even this tiny amount of conducive substance could kill my next motherboard, and I don't know if there's a reliable way to eradicate it.

Aug 4, 2018
The brand is the stock AMD wraith cooler brand, which I googled and found is conducive (https://community.amd.com/thread/216932), and I think that even if I did clean very carefully I would never be able to get rid of all of the substance. If even the smallest amount is there I think it could fry my next motherboard. I am afraid.

You found some guys who claims it is conductive. Even Arctic Silver claims their stuff is not conductive. Maybe there is silver or zinc or copper floating around in there, but what is between those molecules of metal? But, if you have some left and a voltmeter it would be pretty easy to test.

Aug 4, 2018
Would YOU risk putting it in a new motherboard? It isn't macroscopic (I don't think -- it's hard to tell what's real and what's my mind playing tricks on me), but I'm certain my finger did brush at least one pin while it had paste smeared on it, even if it was only for a second. The q-tip suggestion is a fair one... what about buying electronic cleaning solvent, holding (or somehow suspending) the processor upside down, and then spraying its edge pins for a redundantly long time?

I would clean it as well as I could and not worry about it. The concern you have is about creating a short. To create a short you have to connect from one conductive thing to another. So you have the smallest bit of paste on a pin and you drop it in a motherboard. The pin is now mostly surrounded by plastic. If that small bit of paste could conduct electricity, where is it going to take that electricity?

Now, if you had a big ole glob of paste that could be a problem ... but the lightest smear on one pin? Not an issue.

I recommend non-lubricating aerosol electronic contact cleaner. Just hold the board with the socket facing down, point, and spray. Do this outside.

Aug 4, 2018
I have sprayed my CPU upside down with isopropyl alcohol (90%), how long should I wait for it to dry? Obviously the outside should dry fairly quickly, but some of it may have gotten inside due to lower surface tension (i.e. it can squeeze through cracks better than water can), so I'm figuring there could still be some risk without x amount of waiting. But what is that x amount?

There's a rubber gasket between the IHS and the PCB. It's not rated to be liquid tight, but it should dry completely in about a minute.