[SOLVED] Thermal paste on an old cpu cooler, will i need to replace?

Dec 19, 2018
Hi everyone,

In light of my discovery that my trusty GTX 670 has passed away, was planning on replacing with an RX 580 as it is supposedly great for price:performance.

I installed a hyper 212 evo cpu cooler around 4 years ago, and to reduce to bottleneck that my CPU will hold on the new GPU, I have decided to overclock it as it is out of warranty anyway.

Do you think I will need to replace the thermal paste on my CPU? OR is it okay to proceed? I have not changed it since the Hyper 212 evo was installed a few years back.

Merry Christmas,
Curtis

Solution
I would not bother unless you notice the core temps seems to be out of line when OC'ing. Then maybe it's a sign the TIM has begun to dry out and is no longer effective. But in all honesty, I doubt you'll need to unless the CPU has been used at/near 100% usage 24/7 for many years.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I would not bother unless you notice the core temps seems to be out of line when OC'ing. Then maybe it's a sign the TIM has begun to dry out and is no longer effective. But in all honesty, I doubt you'll need to unless the CPU has been used at/near 100% usage 24/7 for many years.

Solution