Thermal Paste Removal/Installation Guide

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
For those of you still reading this thread and interested in other application methods, Olin Coles from Benchmarkreview wrote a long guide following lots of experimentation with how thermal paste should be applied.

I used to be a fan of the tiny drop method until I had time to experiment on my own and found that different coolers require a separate application process. When I next open my rig for a quick blow-out, I'm going to use the two-line method since I'm stuck with a stock AMD heatsink.

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Heh, I actually did link to it in my post, but obviously the very dark blue isn't so noticeable. Thanks for that, though. Its an interesting read, even though I'm assuming things have changed slightly due to node process improvements and the IHS used on the chip itself.

Edit: Okay, now I see I was a moron with the linking. I'm more used to vBulletin than this strange forum setup.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I have a Hyper 212 EVO arriving tomorrow so I can hopefully get my CPU up to 4.8GHz. Anyways, should I remove the CPU from it's socket at any time? I don't want to damage it or the motherboard during the process.

No need to do so on AMD platforms, since they don't have the metal plate Intel CPUs have. That lets you clean up properly around the CPU and socket. On Intel might not be entirely necessary, but I'd still recommend to do so and clean up around the metal holder.

Good luck on your OC.

Cheers!

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Alright thanks. I installed it without removing the CPU. The installation of the cooler was quite fruststrating, and Windows won't boot (not even the install disk) past 4.6GHz. However, I must say the temps on this thing are simply amazing!

austin707

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Dear members,

I've posted this topic on other threads but haven't received any satisfactory replies.

Please advise.

I have used the cooler master thermal compound that came with the hyper 212 evo on my recent build. The temps in the bios hover around 52C when in idle. This is seriously worrying me as to whether I have installed the cooler wrongly or whether this is normal.

I understand that the bios temps are not completely reliable, but still, given the quality and reliability of this aftermarket cooler, I wasn't expecting these high temps.

I'm not sure whether I have to turn the screws on the X shaped retention holder all the way till they can't turn anymore or just half way through. The base swivels when I turn it. I used the pea size amount of thermal compound.

I was just wondering how much the temps might shoot up if I engage in 4 hours of gaming or if I overclock my cpu. This is freaking me out.

I'm willing to re-install my cooler if required. I'm from India and I don't have a single store in my city that sells any other thermal compound. So I'm sticking with the one that came with the cooler master hyper 212 evo.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

My rule is to tighten the screws gradually, switching from one to the next in an x pattern, until all screws are as tight as I can comfortably turn them with my FINGERS on the screwdriver but not my fist. That's how I measure the proper amount of torque, for myself. Depending on your finger strength that could possibly be too much, but the average male office worker would have similar strength to mine. It's fairly snug.

From your description I suspect the cooler is still too loose.

ankydu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I recently upgraded my cpu (AMD Phenom 2 x2 555 BE unlocked to 4 cores) cooler to the hyper 212 evo, I just wiped off the old paste with a soft cotton cloth and it became completely clean without any particles or paste on it, then I applied a dot at the center with the paste that came with the heatsink, then used a visiting card to spread it evenly, next I apply the heatsink and now I dont see any diff with idle temperatures which are around 44. Only diff is the load temperature with prime 95 benchmark were around 64-65* C earlier are now around 53-54*C, Is it normal???

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I always clean old paste off with medical alcohol prep pads. My cats diabetic, so I give him insulin injections every day... so I have lots of sealed square little pads on hand. I generally use about 3 pads to get the job done right...until the pad shows no signs of gray old paste.

I just redid the thermal paste on a computer tonight for a family member. That paste was the worse I ever saw. It was so dried up and old..10 years since it was 1st applied.

This is off track but worth reading....(Funny thing is it had been at "Best Buy" for Geek Squad service... because the CPU was overheating and shutting the computer off within 1 minute of operation. Two weeks in the BB store that's how they returned it yesterday...claiming they couldn't get replacement parts and couldn't fix it. Thirty minutes later, with a spare CPU fan and new paste and it is running great again. Makes me now wonder if they even bother to do new thermal paste when servicing CPU's)

Anyway. I always form a little square in the center of the CPU about 1/3 the size of the CPU itself... taking care not to make bubbles. It might be a little more than I need but it always works good for me doing it that way,

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
how good is the paste in intel heatsink? i get high temps at heavy loads [80+C] and since i can't afford to buy an after market cooler i thought of changing the paste. would it keep my temps under 70C at 100% load?

Ken Su

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Right after I apply the thermal compund on the heatsink and place it on top of the CPU. Can I take it back out or will that damage anything.

Because I put the heatsink on and realize that the bracket doesn't match the screw so I take it out and wipe the thermal compound off the CPU and heatsinker. Is that OK?

And what happen if I touch some metal parts at the bottom of the motherboard. Will that shock the motherboard and other parts on the motherboard already?

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

if you take out the heatsink after applying the paste then it won't damage anything. but if you put it back in the CPU without reapplying the paste your CPU will probably overheat due to poor thermal conductivity as there will air bubbles between the paste and heatsink plate.

AMKANMBA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

U dont find alcohol in Saudi Arabia.

Status
Not open for further replies.