thermal pastes squeezed out under red plastic layer of asus k53 cpu fan

domino_boy91

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
hi guys.
im trying to change my asus k53sv cpu fan, cleaning heatsink and reapply thermal paste on it.
there is a red plastic layer on cpu and gpu; i saw old thermal paste squeezed out under that layer
you can see it here:
1491557604491535947434.jpg

^click here
should i remove that plastic layer and clean old thermal paste ?
my cpu temp on idle mode is a about 85°c and when i start playing games its about 100°c and game is laggy. i tried changing cpu fan and thermal paste 2 times but it didnt help and temp is still high.
what should i do ?
thanks

Solution
The red plastic layer is there to prevent the protrusions on your processor/chip from making contact with the cooler and causing a short(which will damage the processor). If anything leave it as is unless you can reapply the plastic layer without affecting the adhesive holding it on. It's a design flaw, true but it's either that or a shorted processor.

FYI, with isopropyl alcohol, you should remove the visible thermal paste on the processor(not under the red plastic). Those temps are wrong and from your picture, are you using thermal paste or thermal tape? Whichever it is, can you pass on a link to it?

Lutfij

Titan
The red plastic layer is there to prevent the protrusions on your processor/chip from making contact with the cooler and causing a short(which will damage the processor). If anything leave it as is unless you can reapply the plastic layer without affecting the adhesive holding it on. It's a design flaw, true but it's either that or a shorted processor.

FYI, with isopropyl alcohol, you should remove the visible thermal paste on the processor(not under the red plastic). Those temps are wrong and from your picture, are you using thermal paste or thermal tape? Whichever it is, can you pass on a link to it?

Solution

domino_boy91

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

thanks for your answer and im using this :
http://www.ekt2.com/pdf/26_S_HEAT__10G_HC-131.pdf