[SOLVED] Thermal Sensors. How to attach?

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Just about done with a new build and my fan controller has 4 thermal sensors that came with it.
I've searched all over and seen plenty of threads that talk about, where they should be placed in your build, but nothing on how to attach them.

should they be taped onto components, certain kind of tape? inserted into something? out in the air?

any insights would be highly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Solution
OK, typical thermocoupler. You could use zipties or doublesided tape below the yellow plastic.
I think the yellow plastic is supposed to stay on to prevent shorts. The way thermocouplers work is by changing resistance between the two wires as the temperature changes. You don't want something shorting the resistance.

kanewolf

Titan
Just about done with a new build and my fan controller has 4 thermal sensors that came with it.
I've searched all over and seen plenty of threads that talk about, where they should be placed in your build, but nothing on how to attach them.

should they be taped onto components, certain kind of tape? inserted into something? out in the air?

any insights would be highly appreciated. Thanks! :)
Since most components have built-in temp sensors, it would depend on what you want to monitor. Do the sensors change the fan speed or is it display only?

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Since most components have built-in temp sensors, it would depend on what you want to monitor. Do the sensors change the fan speed or is it display only?

I was thinking about possibly using them for fan speeds. But wanted to maybe monitor some other temps, maybe certain areas in the case…

maybe I should just skip those and go with the built in monitoring. I mean, I’d think the most important temps would be CPU, GPU, Coolant, Mobo

kanewolf

Titan
I was thinking about possibly using them for fan speeds. But wanted to maybe monitor some other temps, maybe certain areas in the case…

maybe I should just skip those and go with the built in monitoring. I mean, I’d think the most important temps would be CPU, GPU, Coolant, Mobo
That is really the question. Can the fans be controlled by the temp sensor(s) and what are the fans associated with?
If it was me, I would have one reading the inflow air temp in the airflow of one of your front fans. I would probably have on on the suction area of the back exhaust fan to understand the total temp gain from the air cooled items. If you have a radiator on the front intake side, you might put one on each side of the radiator to see the temp gain across the radiator. If you don't have a delta then you pump may not be working correctly.

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
That is really the question. Can the fans be controlled by the temp sensor(s) and what are the fans associated with?
If it was me, I would have one reading the inflow air temp in the airflow of one of your front fans. I would probably have on on the suction area of the back exhaust fan to understand the total temp gain from the air cooled items. If you have a radiator on the front intake side, you might put one on each side of the radiator to see the temp gain across the radiator. If you don't have a delta then you pump may not be working correctly.

How would you go about placing the sensors?

should I use electrical tape and tape them to the chassis with the probe(end metal part) sticking out in front of the air flow? Like, not touching the case?

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
zip ties would be one option. Double sided tape could be another. Can you find a picture of the probes? Thermal probes can have many shapes.

sure

here’s what they look like, not sure if that yellow cellophane is supposed to stay on or not. Doesn’t seem like it just slips off.

hajeyVK.jpg

kanewolf

Titan
OK, typical thermocoupler. You could use zipties or doublesided tape below the yellow plastic.
I think the yellow plastic is supposed to stay on to prevent shorts. The way thermocouplers work is by changing resistance between the two wires as the temperature changes. You don't want something shorting the resistance.

Solution

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012

ok sounds good

so do I just have em sticking out into the air? In the airflow of intake, outtake or whatever it is I want to measure?