[SOLVED] Thermal wall or cooling issue?

Jan 5, 2019
Hi everyone,

I just got a new Sharkoon TG5 case for my old FX-8320 and CM Hyper 212x setup.

My old case was..... very old, just one 80mm exhaust fan, left opened to prevent thermal throttling and occasionally shutdowns.

When I mounted everything, I ran prime95 and was surprised about high temperatures:
  • - 63° on package temp
    - 66° on cpu temp
Ofc cpu is overclocked and running at 4.3GHz, 1.3V.

Sharkoon has 3 intake and 1 exhaust fans, running at 1100 rpm. Hyper 212x runs at 1700rpm. Fans are always running at max.

I read so many threads about people hitting 1.38V with this setup, while i'm facing a thermal limit with stock voltages!!! Room temps are 20° max.

Thermal paste is less than 1yr old, it's the CM paste provided with the cooler.

Am I doing something wrong here? Maybe wrong thermal paste application? Bad Airflow? Crappy cable management? Thanks for the answers.

Specs:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
FX-8320 @4.3GHz , 1.3V
CM Hyper 212x
Sharkoon TG5
CM V850 watts 80+gold
Asus R9 280X
2x4GB G.SKill Sniper
1SSD and 1HDD

Solution
Hyper 212 is popular because of the price.
It is not one of the better coolers with a 120mm fan.

What is your temperature at idle?
If the cooler is mounted properly I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient.

If it is significantly more, look to a bad cooler mount.

Two common mistakes.

1. Too much paste hurts and will act as an insulator. Metal to metal contact is best. All it takes is a small rice sized drop in the center. It will spread out under heat and pressure. It is hard to use too little.

2. Hyper212 is hard to mount. Pay attention to how you clamped it down to get it seated level on the processor.
Screw things down a little at a time in a cris-cross pattern.

Supplied paste is ok, but clean the old off and apply new...
Hyper 212 is popular because of the price.
It is not one of the better coolers with a 120mm fan.

What is your temperature at idle?
If the cooler is mounted properly I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient.

If it is significantly more, look to a bad cooler mount.

Two common mistakes.

1. Too much paste hurts and will act as an insulator. Metal to metal contact is best. All it takes is a small rice sized drop in the center. It will spread out under heat and pressure. It is hard to use too little.

2. Hyper212 is hard to mount. Pay attention to how you clamped it down to get it seated level on the processor.
Screw things down a little at a time in a cris-cross pattern.

Supplied paste is ok, but clean the old off and apply new every time you remount.

Your case is a nice one and should supply sufficient cooling air.
Verify that the front fans are mounted as intakes. A tissue dangled in front will verify their orientation.

Your FX-8350 is an old, obsolete and hot chip.
Do not expect too much.
A top end cooler like the $80 noctua NH-D15s will be a much better cooler if you want to go that way.

Solution
Jan 5, 2019

With the side panel off, package temp is 53° while cpu temp is 59°. Is it an airflow problem then?
This is my case:
2hfibyg.jpg