wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
[Moderator edit: Changing title to Info and moving thread from Components to Opinions and Experiences. Post is not a technical question and based on OP's experiences.]

My new setup is the microcenter MSI B650-P Pro Wifi and Montech King 95 (non-Pro) case.
I bought 4 types of Thermalright ARGB fans. Since the Mobo only has two 3amp J ARGB V2 headers I wanted to make sure I didn't overload them. Thermalright only list the fan motors amperage not the ARGB so I tested them with a power meter + PSU not hooked up to PC + SATA hub. (Wattage of PSU +hub alone subbstracted from total)

Maybe someone else would also need this info...

TLDR: 5v ARGB amperage per fan

TL C14C-S = 0.46a (2.3 watts)
TL C12C-S = 0.44a (2.2 watts)
TL S12 = 0.66a (3.3watts)
TL S12-S = 0.98a (4.9watts)

And King 95 side panel led strip... 0.76a (3.8 watts)

* Power draw listed was daisy chaining 3 identical fans and dividing by 3, single fan power draw was 0.1-0.2 watts less
**these are the max rainbow rapid color changing pattern, solid dim colors about half as much power

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
The max amperage support by each header is 3A, you're just under 3A with the fans. You should add one fan and the LED to the other header, to be on the safe side. If your ARGB hub is powered externally using a SATA power connector, then you don't need to worry about how much power the ARGB header on the board supports.

Just to add;
this is the highest number of devices you can split off one ARGB header.

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
The max amperage support by each header is 3A, you're just under 3A with the fans. You should add one fan and the LED to the other header, to be on the safe side. If your ARGB hub is powered externally using a SATA power connector, then you don't need to worry about how much power the ARGB header on the board supports.

Just to add;
this is the highest number of devices you can split off one ARGB header.

All the thermal right fans are able to be daisy chained. Case ARGB can connect to the last fan .
The TL-S12 (non-S) are going to be returned the don't look right with the rest.

I went with 3x TL-S12S to header#1

2x C14C-S + 3x C12C-S + Case Led to header #2.

Max power draw on each comes out to just a hair under 3amps on each header.

Any more fans would need a hub.
I have a couple of those (it's how I tested power draw) but neither connect to the motherboard, so no software control .

TRENDING THREADS