Thermaltake armor mx vs. coolermaster cm-690

vinster27

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hey guys, I'm working on getting a case for my first build and I was wondering which case you guys think would be better: the thermaltake armor mx or the coolermaster cm-690. I really like the build quality and design of the thermaltake but I am concerned about the fact that it only has 2-3 cooling fans. And the coolermaster looks cool as well but I don't like how cheap the hard drive caddies are and the fact that the power supply is on the bottom of the case. I just got a corsair 650tx and I am concerned that their will be a cable managment problem with this psu and the coolermaster since it is not modular. So guys what case do you think would be the best for a first-time build? And what would be a good motherboard and processor for my new system with a budget of 1000 dollars. Thanks.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
oh, id definately go with the thermaltake armour. It's pretty much built like a tank. very good quality.
and if your spending that much on a system, just go buy your own pretty LED fans and make that case glow ;)

oh, and make sure to throw a fan controller into the build cause your gonna need it... i didnt with my subbeam transformer case and it was like sitting next to a vacuum all day.

sailer

Splendid
I prefer the Thermaltake Armor. There is space for more fans, if you need them, or you can put in better fans.

I do not like cases that have the PSU on the bottom. Both my Antec cases have the PSU on the bottom and cables need to be very carefully routed or they don't fit, even when using an Antec 650wt PSU in one of them. Really, if an Antec PSU doesn't fit properly in an Antec case, somebody in management needs to wake up. There were a couple other problems as well with wires, one being that PSU are designed to be on the top with the sires hanging down past the hard drives. When putting the PSU on the bottom, the socket for the hard drives is upside down, so the wires either have to be stretched and bent weird or the hard drives mounted upside down.

Both cases are pretty have a very similiar internal layout. Peronally I'd go for which one looks better to you.

Bottom mounted PSU haven't been a problem for me. IF you have a problem with the power connectors to you HDD and ROM drives just install the PSU the "upside down". Most PSU with a fan on the bottom will have to be installed upside down anyway. Also order a 24pin connector extension cord just incase.

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Thermaltake is a big ZERO compared to coolermaster. I my self own the armor for my daily usage rig but i cant find anything really good on it. I also build computers for friends and sometimes some extra cash and i've been using thermaltakes because they are atractive (to gamers atleast). My thoughts:
No.1
i have not managed to build a single one without stracting my hands in them. I 've never cut myself on a coolermaster.

No.2
The for some reason the mesh that act as fan covers on the thermaltakes make the fans noisy. I've had to cut the mesh of mine.
No.3
The newer armor cases (after the restyling) look cheap. On the other hand, coolermaster cases are sleek and look much more robust that TT's

THe only thing that i didnt like on the 690 is the placement of the powerbuttons. My Pc on the floor at my righthand site and i would never be able to reach them

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

I like Cooler Master cases, but I would choose the HAF 922 instead of the 690.

and the fact that the power supply is on the bottom of the case. I just got a corsair 650tx and I am concerned that their will be a cable managment problem with this psu and the coolermaster since it is not modular.
Bottom mounted PSU is better for cooling, especially when there is an intake below the PSU.

And what would be a good motherboard and processor for my new system with a budget of 1000 dollars. Thanks.
Either Core i7 920 with ASUS P6T or Gigabyte UD4/5, or AMD Phenom II X4 940 with ASUS/Gigabyte 790GX or FX.

Click on the link in my sig and post in the New System Build section for more help.

vinster27

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Update: Thanks again for all of your help guys. I ended up buying the Coolermaster HAF-932 because of the price and the size. I am very happy with it and would recommend it over other full tower cases!! It is the most quiet and spacious case I have ever used!!It is definitely the best!!Thanks again!!