Thermaltake Debuts Water 3.0 Closed-Loop Water Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjamonkeh

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
I'm confused, never had a water cooler but isnt the whole point to water is not to have all the fan noise? Perhaps im wrong and its only if you want to overclock.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
So Thermaltake finally paid Asetek enough money to rebrand their product?
What is the point of going for this now, unless they redesigned the CPU block to get cooler temperatures its no better than the rest of Asetek AIO coolers that everyone else rebrands.
Performer = Corsair H60 refresh = Zalman LQ 310.
Pro = Antec 920 = Zalman LQ320
Extreme = H100.
All made by Asetek then rebranded. When will these companies learn that unless you make a 49mm thick 240 rad to be different, everyone is just going to choose their favourite brand and buy it. Corsair is usually first to the market then everyone else follows.
In 3 months there will be article about Antec new 2013 water coolers which will be the same rebranded Asetek stuff!

Corsairs newest systems advise you to mount the system on the back exhaust fan placement. But to have it blowing into the case not exhaust.
Which totally negates you answer for noobie builders who will read the manual and install it according to directions.
I have 2 120mm quiet rear fans and 2 120mm quiet top fans. With the 212 EVO in push pull, there is no way the heat from my cpu will ever get recirculated in my case.
With 1 120mm and 1 200mm front intake and a 140mm side intake heat is not a problem.
The most noise and heat from my case is the 2 GTX 460s.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Not exactly. As long as your case have positive air pressure the hot air will not stay inside your case. The purpose of water cooling is to keep your load temps lower without the added fan noise.

Most users will install the AIO coolers pulling in cooler air from the outside the case and blowing hot air inside the case. But as long as you have positive pressure the hot air will not stay in your case or recirculate. Having positive pressure also helps eliminate dust build up if all intake fans have filters.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I find the 140mm radiator size and fans to be much superior to even a dual 120 240mm rad. A thick 140mm and push pull 140mm fans can run at a lower speed and provide equal cooling to a 120mm or you can kick the speed up and get equal performance to a 240mm rad with 2 fans in push only. Most cases can support 140mm on the rear top exhaust so it really is the optimal solution. 140mm fans can be much quieter since you can run them slower as well.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

Water cooling rigs (good ones, anyway) tend to be quieter only at peak overclock levels, when the cooler is driven to run at its hardest. There was some early attempt to claim a water cool system would be quieter - nut unless it allowed you to get rid of a fan or use it at a lower speed, that really doesn't make a lot of sense, because the radiator needs a fan (or fans), too.

The advantages of water cooling are space around the CPU is much better, the height of the water block/pump assembly is much lower than high-end air coolers so you can use it in cases where height is an issue (assuming you can figure out what to do with the radiator), weight on the mainboard is significantly less, and overclocking limits are higher (better) with the best water-cooling solutions.

Arent there too many closed sets of those?
I remmber when you had to get the pump, reservoir and block apart, but you chould chose your perfect setup.
There it made sense to have so many options, but in closed loops? i think its too small of a market to saturate it with so many products that look and perform almost exactly the same.

tabuburn

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I see what you did there Thermaltake. The tubing connected to the pump/block has barb fitting clamps so most likely they can be removed for custom water cooling just like Swiftech's H220.

saint_craig

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
@ Ninja,
The purpose of water is to have a greater thermal density than air.
In laymans terms this means you can either run significantly cooler at the same fan speeds, or just as cool at slower fan speeds.
as an example I have a HAF 932 case with a 360 Radiator up top and a 120 on the back. Giving me 480mm (square) radiative density. My fans turn at about 500 RPM. I can run my AMD 1080T Overclocked to 4Ghz all day, in the summer with an ambient outside temperature of 29.4c and my processor will stay at 39c under 72 hours of full load.
I could probably remove the fans altogether from the radiators and just rely on the 230mm case side fan to move enough air.

Status
Not open for further replies.