Thermaltake to Make Metal Keycaps, Custom Water Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interested in those keycaps! I would absolutely buy a set, with three caveats:

1) The caps have to be metal, not just have a plating that's going to wear off. If you're going to spend $80 for an accessory for your $120 keyboard, it better last for a very long time.

2) Something that gets overlooked a lot in products is the smell. These absolutely can't leave that smell of metal on your hands after using them; that would be hideous.

3) Please, for the love of tech nerds, just leave the windows key blank instead of engraving a windows logo, or even worse, a Tt logo.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I'm a bit excited about the updated water cooling line. Recently there has been a slew of closed loop water cooling systems, but none for the custom loop systems. So having some updated hardware will be nice.
Like others, I am also excited about metal caps. I have something I would be slightly more excited about. Frosted Glass caps. If the glass is reasonably thick with a coarse surface texture it would look pretty sweet on illuminated keyboards.

...I want these now. Those would be freaking gorgeous.
(They'd also get extremely dirty and oily very quickly, but it might be worth it..)

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Metal+Sweat=Rust Doesn't it?

A company made a metal mouse surface but it became rusty due to the moisture of palm sweat.
Iron rusts due to oxidation. Steel rusts because it has iron in it. Aluminum, zinc, nickel, and plenty of other metals do not rust and corrode in the same manner as iron and are perfectly suitable for key caps. Apple has been making all-metal laptop computers for the past decade and they do not rust because they use aluminum for the chassis.

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Thanks for the answer. I didn't think about the options they could use for metal. Sorry for not thinking that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.