Thermaltake's View 27 Has A Large Gull-Wing Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Am I the only one seeing a big gallery with 3 pictures of it?

THIS, Thermaltake, is innovation! Not that stupid Thermalfake era bullshit.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This is a beautiful case. My only gripe is that it uses all 120mm fans and not a single option for a 140.

Also, is it just me or did a total noob did the water loop for the yelow? A 360 radiator + a 120 radiator + a huge reservoir just to cool ONLY the CPU? I understand they want to show how much water-cooling a builder can do so why no add in the GPU and make it 100 water cooled.

And that's way too much pipe bending in the Magenta loop lol.

But again, beautiful case, just make it all 140mm fans compatible, a removable PSU shroud and 4 USB ports up front. Three simple changes!

Nice idea with the gull wing window. Unfortunately like many other thermaltake cases, they shoot themselves right in the foot making it so narrow. For want of 1-1.25 inches in width they've been reduced to 120mm fans instead of 140mm fans and they've killed the option for most decent large air coolers by around 6-7mm.

Well done engineering team, you've successfully nixed the nh-d15, nh-d14, phanteks tc14pe, cryorig r1, dark rock pro 3 and a ton of other high end air coolers. Even the 212 evo is too tall to fit this case with its 155mm cooler limitation.

What engineer out there doesn't realize the size of many coolers? Doesn't understand that 10mm, just 6% more width would be the difference between compatibility and uselessness to many?

I wasn't too impressed with the poorly laid out design of the '4k vr' gaming case and then I spotted this one and thought ok, sometimes it's a hit and miss. This one looks pretty promising. Start reading through the specs and clearly a strike 2 in my book. Another swing and a miss.

I'm sure it's fine for watercooling fans and it looks nice in photos. They've really limited themselves though. I've also gotten spoiled by modern cases and 140mm fans. Not even really that modern given that 140mm fans have been around for around 7yrs now at least.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

I feel exactly the opposite. I bought a secondhand homebuilt partially because it was in a Fractal R4, which had no end of positive feedback. But cripes that thing is wide. It's less than 1.5" wider than my other "standard" cases, and about the same height and depth, but the extra width just makes it look 50% larger.

True, it may be subjective in terms of appearance. It does cripple functionality though and that's all I was saying. Based on size of the width.

I've got an old standard mid tower case quite a bit smaller than my rather large enthoo pro, an old antec slk2650. No frills, no windows, 92mm intake, 120mm exhaust with the old p4 side intake on it and it's big enough to comfortably fit the 212 evo. Even with a side panel fan mounted directly over it. That case is 8.3" wide, 3.5" shorter top to bottom and just over 2" shorter front to back. Overall a smaller case but roomy enough inside to be functional.

The fractal r4 is pretty wide, nearly as wide as an enthoo pro and supports coolers up to 170mm. There's a happy medium I think, being so close yet just short enough with cpu cooler heights limited to 155mm cancels out at least half or better of popular air coolers.

Many people who want to stay on a budget face this problem, if they want a cheap decent air cooler many go with the 212 evo. It's taller than 155mm. Quite a few budget cases aren't wide enough to fit the 212 evo which creates an issue. Regardless of the price this case sports when it's released it will suffer the same fate, being just a tad too narrow. These days I prefer the cyrorig h7 which is another great budget cooler and short enough it would work in a case like this but there are a number of times it's unavailable or sold out.

Maybe they should have classified this one as a 'water cooling case' much like they did the other previous reviewed case designated as a '4k vr ready' case. Hopefully in the future they'll make an alternative sort of like phanteks did when they shortened their enthoo pro, retained many of the same features and released it as the enthoo pro M. Similar in design to this case but a tad wider for air cooling support, 140mm fans and some of the wider water coolers or radiators like the 280's. I like the overall look of it, it's somewhat unique.

Looking at user comments for coolers, between just amazon and newegg there have been over 10,000 reviews for the 212 evo alone. Granted it's over a span of many years but that's still a relatively large crowd to shut out. Going narrow makes sense for a sff or htpc case but this case is way too large for that purpose (by traditional standards anyway). They've already surpassed htpc design, may as well make it more widely compatible. They'd probably sell more of them.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

No doubt. My point is (or was supposed to be) that not everyone will regard the overall design as a "swing and a miss" because it doesn't support the tallest cooling towers. Something else to keep in mind is that with the rise of mini-ITX and compact mATX cases, the number of capable low-profile air coolers available is larger than ever. In any case (no pun intended), Thermaltake seems to feel there's a market for this thing, and I think they're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.