[SOLVED] Thin Client for general computing

mangaman

Honorable
Are Thin Clients capable of having an operating system on a local drive/ssd? I've been reading that Thin Clients are mostly used for a server based computing environment, where the server does the majority of the work. Can an OS be stored locally on a Thin Client?

I want to buy an HP t620 Thin Client on Ebay and use it as a light weight Linux machine for general computing. It would be a great learning tool and give me more knowledge on a real Linux machine, as apposed to a virtual one. Plus Thin Clients are much more affordable right now, as apposed to a general desktop.

So, can a Thin Client store an OS locally and be used as a general purpose computer?

Solution
Found it on Ebay for $40 as I don't have the money for a full fledged desktop PC. Plus room is quite limited to where I am right now. The Thin Client t620 has 4gb of DDR3L, 16gb ssd, and a AMD GX-415GA.
Have a link to it?I found one on ebay for $39.99. Used, missing the AC adapter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-T620-Fl...171045?hash=item214d70fc65:g:lFMAAOSwYARe2o-d

Might it work? Get Linux installed?
Probably, maybe.

Can't do a lot with it besides learning some Linux. Which is not a bad thing, but don't expect it to be 'good'.

USAFRet

Titan
If it has its own onboard storage and OS, it is not a "thin client".
A thin client has just enough brain to use the OS that lives on a server, and to push out to a display.

How much is this thing on fleabay? You can get a low end system for $200 or less, that will be absolutely capable of running Linux, or even Windows.

kanewolf

Titan
Are Thin Clients capable of having an operating system on a local drive/ssd? I've been reading that Thin Clients are mostly used for a server based computing environment, where the server does the majority of the work. Can an OS be stored locally on a Thin Client?

I want to buy an HP t620 Thin Client on Ebay and use it as a light weight Linux machine for general computing. It would be a great learning tool and give me more knowledge on a real Linux machine, as apposed to a virtual one. Plus Thin Clients are much more affordable right now, as apposed to a general desktop.

So, can a Thin Client store an OS locally and be used as a general purpose computer?
Some can have local storage. If you look at the quickspecs for the t620 -- http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2013/HPDiscoverBarcelona/HP_t620_quick_specs.pdf bottom of page 6 says that there is an m.2 secondary storage slot available. Also look at the "Longevity" section on page 16.
Performance wise these are similar to a laptop.

mangaman

Honorable
If it has its own onboard storage and OS, it is not a "thin client".
A thin client has just enough brain to use the OS that lives on a server, and to push out to a display.

How much is this thing on fleabay? You can get a low end system for $200 or less, that will be absolutely capable of running Linux, or even Windows.

Found it on Ebay for $40 as I don't have the money for a full fledged desktop PC. Plus room is quite limited to where I am right now. The Thin Client t620 has 4gb of DDR3L, 16gb ssd, and a AMD GX-415GA.

USAFRet

Titan
Have a link to it?I found one on ebay for $39.99. Used, missing the AC adapter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-T620-Fl...171045?hash=item214d70fc65:g:lFMAAOSwYARe2o-d

Might it work? Get Linux installed?
Probably, maybe.

Can't do a lot with it besides learning some Linux. Which is not a bad thing, but don't expect it to be 'good'.

Solution