[SOLVED] Thincentre m90p ssf to gaming rig?

UserUnknown

Commendable
Apr 23, 2017
So i have a Lenovo Thinkcentre m90p ssf and i wondering if things there are changeable?
Like PSU which is rightnow factory 250w
And that really really bad stock cooler that cools via (tube/vent to heatsink) rightnow even the graphics card doest fit there because of the cooler it has, the cpu temps get around 60c idling.
So if anyone can suggest what can i get and even if its possible to change those things.
I also heard that you cant change some OEM machines cases so clarifying that would help alot too! Thanks ahead.

Solution
Long story short. No. The fact that it's SFF takes away A LOT of options.

Not only that, but the best CPU it supports is an i5-750, and 8GB RAM. The PSU is (if you're lucky) a TFX form factor, which is going to limit you to ~300W so you're limited to a GPU that doesn't need an extra power connection (GTX1650 is the best). Also, you're limited to "low profile" GPUs which are expensive.

The Prebuilt & Enterprise forums sections is rife with threads just like yours. The news is never good.

You're better off ditching that old thing and getting something newer and better equipped. If you're comfortable putting the components together yourself, we can maintain the same case size if that's a major requirement for you.

^If so...
Long story short. No. The fact that it's SFF takes away A LOT of options.

Not only that, but the best CPU it supports is an i5-750, and 8GB RAM. The PSU is (if you're lucky) a TFX form factor, which is going to limit you to ~300W so you're limited to a GPU that doesn't need an extra power connection (GTX1650 is the best). Also, you're limited to "low profile" GPUs which are expensive.

The Prebuilt & Enterprise forums sections is rife with threads just like yours. The news is never good.

You're better off ditching that old thing and getting something newer and better equipped. If you're comfortable putting the components together yourself, we can maintain the same case size if that's a major requirement for you.

^If so, what country are you shopping in and what's your budget?

Solution

UserUnknown

Commendable
Apr 23, 2017
Im in estonia where second hand parts are really cheap rightnow but my budget is very tight so getting a whole new rig isnt gonna happen for me, im able to get gtx 1050ti 4gb low profile for 70€ /77$, but my main concern is the cooler, is it swappable or not? Or i should just change the thermal paste?

Change the thermal paste first. Always start with the cheapest/free option.

Can you post a picture of the inside of your actual machine (or link one)? Googling your model is showing me distinctly different models.
Is this it?
1792176__80111.1523991429.jpg

Looks like maybe you're going to be also limited to a SINGLE SLOT low profile GPU (awaiting picture of your actual machine) since the GPU fan points up in that orientation, so a two slot GPU isn't going to have a second expansion bracket in the back to poke through (the CPU cooler is the least of your worries).

Last edited:

UserUnknown

Commendable
Apr 23, 2017
Change the thermal paste first. Always start with the cheapest/free option.

Can you post a picture of the inside of your actual machine (or link one)? Googling your model is showing me distinctly different models.
Is this it?
1792176__80111.1523991429.jpg

Looks like maybe you're going to be also limited to a SINGLE SLOT low profile GPU (awaiting picture of your actual machine) since the GPU fan points up in that orientation, so a two slot GPU isn't going to have a second expansion bracket in the back to poke through (the CPU cooler is the least of your worries).
Yes this is it, thats why im considering msi gtx 1050ti 4gb low profile which is small and doesnt consume extra power because all that sff has is 240W psu

Gotcha.

Regarding the CPU heatsink. Depending on how the 1050Ti sizes in, you could cut fins off the cooler (take it out of the case before you do) as long as you don't have to cut the heat pipes. I think you're going to have a hard time finding anything better.