[SOLVED] Think it's time for a new printer

Oct 26, 2020
Hey all! Have had and used my Epson Stylus CX9400FAX printer since new from about 2007.
Always worked fine - though replacement ink cartridges are/have always been EXPENSIVE!

Last few months the print quality has gotten terrible( so blurry can't hardly read it).
Have cleaned and aligned print heads so many times, even after putting in new ink cartridges, but print quality just won't improve. I guess it's time for a new 4 in one.

I'm looking for a new 4 in one (print, copy, scan & fax) quality printer that goes easy on ink and works and lasts for light, not regular use (might only print once or twice every month or 2, though it's always left on so the fax will work if someone sends me one).
I'm not locked into any specific brand, as long as it works as I need it and replacement ink cartridges costs don't break the bank.
I'm hoping to spend no more than $200.

Any suggestions??

Solution
Have not faxed in years and do not even bother to connect the all-in-one fax any more.

I do not know how such things work (or not) these days but in the past our office faxes were continually being spammed with unwanted faxes.

When I need to send a document I scan to .pdf and attach the .pdf to (as you said) an email.

Printer suggestions - start with the following link within Tom's.

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-printers

Other suggestions:

After you have identified two or three candidate printers try to go somewhere so you can actually go "hands on" and get a sense of the printer itself.

Then go to the applicable manufacturer's website. Find the User Guide/Manual and peruse the documentation. Check...
Oct 26, 2020
The CX9400Fax is an ink jet printer.
I'd not be against a laser printer as long as it prints in both color and black (I mostly print with just black ink anyway).
Thanks for your suggestions!

Ralston18

Titan
I will second @USAFRet

I just had to replace a Canon PIXMA All-in-one a few months ago. Ink prices kept going higher plus I was getting more and more ink related errors. (Used OEM cartridges - just for the record.)

Purchased a HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 and have already have cycled through the introductory included ( approx. 1/2 full) ink cartridges.

The refill ink pack was $103 and just under half the price ($230) of the new printer.

I have already decided that the next printer will be a color laser.

Reconsider your budget to include printer and the cost of replacement ink or toner.

Think about how much printing you do and try to factor in pages per cartridge etc..

Not easy but you are likely to save over the long term.

With light printing the "introductory" laser toner cartridge may last quite awhile.

USAFRet

Titan
Yep.
Overall running costs for a laser are much cheaper than inkjets.
Especially if you don't print often.
Or even if you DO print often...;)

Infrequent printing with an inket leads to dried and clogged nozzles. Meaning cleaning cycles which is wasted ink.

I'll certainly never go back to inkjets.

Oct 26, 2020
Ok, seems I could better use a color laser printer and to defray a little of the cost I really don't need the fax function - what with everyone having email and text these days anyway (I'm retired and business office days are mostly behind me now).

3 in 1 (print, copy, scan) color laser printer (will adjust my budget as best I can).
Any new suggestions for quality, on the more inexpensive side, printers will be greatly appreciated (and needed!) Thanks to all...

Ralston18

Titan
Have not faxed in years and do not even bother to connect the all-in-one fax any more.

I do not know how such things work (or not) these days but in the past our office faxes were continually being spammed with unwanted faxes.

When I need to send a document I scan to .pdf and attach the .pdf to (as you said) an email.

Printer suggestions - start with the following link within Tom's.

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-printers

Other suggestions:

After you have identified two or three candidate printers try to go somewhere so you can actually go "hands on" and get a sense of the printer itself.

Then go to the applicable manufacturer's website. Find the User Guide/Manual and peruse the documentation. Check the site's FAQs and Forums (if any).

Look for both what is said and what is not said.

Solution