[SOLVED] Thinking about increasing Voltage on my RTX 3070... is this safe, good idea?

Dec 15, 2021
Hey Guys,

Need some help. I will post my spec below, but I have a 3070 evga ftw edition GPU. It never goes over 64 degrees on ultra 1080 settings and I am thinking about buying a 240 hertz monitor. I want to over clock this GPU as much as possible to get every frame out of the monitor im buying. I fully maxed out the clock speed/ memory speed and my PC immediately crashed and reset. This was fine as I was testing the limitations. I really cant get much out of over clocking before pixilation starts happening. I know cards are safe up to temperatures of 80... and my PC is literally always cold with the fan setup I have. I want to know a little more about voltage regulation as I have that on 0 (default) in the precisions x1 software. any help would be great as I don't care about possibly taking a year of lifespan off the card. Just want to get full potential and optimize for my set up. Thanks.

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-10900K 10/20 3.70GHz [Turbo 5.2GHz] 20MB Cache LGA1200
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Copper Cold Plate
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX™ 3070 XC3 ULTRA GAMING 8GB GDDR6, iCX3 Cooling Video Card (Ampere) [VR Ready] [+91] (Single Card)
Ram: 32gs 3200hz Tforce RGB x4 (8G)
PS: 850 Watts - GIGABYTE GP-P850GM 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active Power Supply
Mother Board: ASUS PRIME Z490-P ATX, ARGB, 1GbE LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 4 SATA3, 2x M.2 SATA/PCIe + WiFi 6 Intel 201AX

Solution
The cpu + ram determines the fps. The gpu reflects the cpu's fps depending on resolution and eye candy settings.

Overclocking, or increasing voltage on Nvidia's gpus doesn't do what it used to, and can be counter-productive. Gpu Boost 3.0 is an overclocking road block, unless you take it to extremes with LN2 and shunt mods.
The cards have several boost curves, and you get/sustain the best curves by:
-the cooler, the better. It's not just a matter of keeping the gpu core below 84C or whatever the default thermal limit is.
-the less frequently the power limit is crossed, the better.

Also, overclocking the gpu might be even more of a bad idea... isn't that one of Gigabyte's exploding psus? Did you get a lucky sample?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu + ram determines the fps. The gpu reflects the cpu's fps depending on resolution and eye candy settings.

Overclocking, or increasing voltage on Nvidia's gpus doesn't do what it used to, and can be counter-productive. Gpu Boost 3.0 is an overclocking road block, unless you take it to extremes with LN2 and shunt mods.
-the cooler, the better. It's not just a matter of keeping the gpu core below 84C or whatever the default thermal limit is.

Also, overclocking the gpu might be even more of a bad idea... isn't that one of Gigabyte's exploding psus? Did you get a lucky sample?

Solution
Dec 15, 2021

Also, overclocking the GPU might be even more of a bad idea... isn't that one of Gigabyte's exploding psus? Did you get a lucky sample?

How can it be counter productive? Also is there a way to optimize the CPU? Also what the heck is GPU boot 3.0, LN2 and shut mods?

Also, I didn't know about the power supply... but I have been having an issue with my PC not booting every time and having to reset the entire Psus by holding the start button.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
How can it be counter productive? Also is there a way to optimize the CPU? Also what the heck is GPU boot 3.0, LN2 and shut mods?

Also, I didn't know about the power supply... but I have been having an issue with my PC not booting every time and having to reset the entire Psus by holding the start button.
I would leave that card alone it's already pre overclocked and probably not much left to gain. It would be a shame to rune the card.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/17/...ies-psus-gp-p850gm-gp-p750gm-exchange-returns

Dec 15, 2021
I would leave that card alone it's already pre overclocked and probably not much left to gain. It would be a shame to rune the card.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/17/...ies-psus-gp-p850gm-gp-p750gm-exchange-returns

Do they come pre-overclocked? Just doesn't make sense that it never gets hotter than 58 when gaming and 65 when bench marking?

and <Mod Edit> .... I'm going to email cyber power tonight to see if I can get another unit or my money back. That's brutal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's counter productive because:
-it increases temperatures. You need to make up for that by running your fans faster, at least.
-the card runs into power limits more often. Gpu Boost will dial back clocks when that happens.
Thermal limit > power limit > running a few-several degrees hotter than usual. The further left, the harder the hit to boost.

Optimize the cpu? Probably don't do anything to it, except for a small undervolt. That cpu can take a beating - it isn't as picky about temperatures like the gpu is.

Gpu Boost 3.0 is the boost algorithm built into the card, just like Intel Turbo Boost on their cpus.
LN2 - liquid nitrogen. I'm sure you've seen videos of this in action?
Shunt modding: https://www.overclock.net/threads/t...r-titan-x-and-many-other-nvidia-gpus.1608437/

Some info about that psu:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI

Yes, most of the aftermarket gpus already have some level of overclock already applied, so there's even less room for the user to push it.

USAFRet

Titan
Do they come pre-overclocked? Just doesn't make sense that it never gets hotter than 58 when gaming and 65 when bench marking?

and <Mod Edit> .... I'm going to email cyber power tonight to see if I can get another unit or my money back. That's brutal.
You bought a CyberPowerPC?

The included PSU is juuuuust capable of running that system at stock.
Any extra load, you may be in trouble.

But talking to CyberPower won't do any good.
You bought it, it works at stock...that's all they are responsible for.

Dec 15, 2021
You bought a CyberPowerPC?

The included PSU is juuuuust capable of running that system at stock.
Any extra load, you may be in trouble.

But talking to CyberPower won't do any good.
You bought it, it works at stock...that's all they are responsible for.

yea I knew from the get-go I <Mod Edit> up with the number of problems I have had... they are useless customer service like you said aswell. Hoping I can at least get a replacement for the power supply and sell it. Then Ill have to upgrade the cooler aswell.