Thinking about Upgrading..

Poiison994

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
Howdy folks! As the title states I'm thinking about upgrading my Computer in a month or so. After having it getting on 10months now I can say it was a great investment to give PC gaming ago, specially since I play alot of Warcraft and I plan to play all the third party titles on my PC.

Currently the components I have are as follows:

Mobo: MSI A75MA:E35 FM2 Socket
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750k
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 560 1gb

These are the components I wish to replace, in result I'm looking for something long term and something that can overclock in the future and preferable play at high/ultra settings without an issue at 1080p and with the possibility of SLI down the line.

The components I'm currently looking at are:

Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger, Z97 Chipset, 1150 Socket
CPU: I5 4690K (1150 Haswell)
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 760 2gb /w ACX

I'm wondering whether there's anything bad with this selection at all or something that could be changed. They will be powered by a Corsair CX500 watt PSU inside a Corsair 300R case.

Along with swapping out the motherboard, while I don't plan to overclock just yet, I've heard that the Intel stock heatsink can get rather noisy and I have a spare CM Hyper Evo 212 lying around however Im thinking about replacing the stock fan and instead buy a Noctua NF:F12 fan. While trying to find whether this combo is compatible or not I'm curious as to how it would be installed as the HS fan comes with clips on the sides where the F12 does not. Sorry Im a bit of a noob when it comes to fans!

Thanks for your time in reading!

Solution
If the PSU is of a good brand and has the cables necessary, it can support whatever graphics card. The manufacturer recommendations are always inflated, both due to the fact they are assuming worst case scenario generic PSU, and then a bit of headroom anyway.

That mobo should support SLI just fine. If a board has SLI certification, it can handle dual graphics. Pretty much any board can attain Crossfire certification, so it isn't a good indicator.
I would lower the motherboard down to something in the ~$120 range, it will support SLI as well, and sink that cash back into the GPU. The motherboard has no impact on gaming performance beyond how well it allows you to overclock (and even then there are larger factors at play).

Other than that, your new build looks fine to me. Though if your after SLI you will need a larger PSU.

As for the 212 EVO and non stock fans, those clips are removable and can be transferred to new fans.

Poiison994

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
I was thinking about considering a Gtx 770 but they recommend a 600W PSU when using a 770, although I won't be overclocking soon will it still support a 770? The GTX 770 from MSI would be an additional £30 and I would imagine that difference is alot between the 760 and 770. Not liking that Brown PCB though hah!

As for the Motherboard upon your suggestion I've been looking around and stumbled upon MSI Z87-G45 which is looking towards something much cheaper and within what I still want while being about £60 less. I imagine that Motherboard will do just what I want it to do. Thanks for the suggestion for digging deeper!

I guess I will have to dig out my Evo and take a look at these clips!

Only really that one question about the GPU now!

If the PSU is of a good brand and has the cables necessary, it can support whatever graphics card. The manufacturer recommendations are always inflated, both due to the fact they are assuming worst case scenario generic PSU, and then a bit of headroom anyway.

That mobo should support SLI just fine. If a board has SLI certification, it can handle dual graphics. Pretty much any board can attain Crossfire certification, so it isn't a good indicator.

Solution