Thinking of changing the motherboard on a prebuilt PC do I need to reinstall OS?

benji_3

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
I have a prebuilt LENOVO H430 Pc and I want to buy a better motherboard in the LGA1155 series. I'm only going to change the motherboard and CPU cooler everything else is the same. But I'm worried about the OS and whether or not I can boot it with windows that I have with my HDD, or would I need to reinstall windows and buy a new windows key.

The PC came with windows 7 but I've upgraded to the free windows 10, I read that first I'll need to download the Media Creation Tool on their site. To a USB before changing the motherboard then use it to boot it up, but it will ask for a product key (which IDK know if I have). I also don't know if I have to download the Media Creation Tool for Win7 or Win10, or if I have reinstall Win7 and upgrade to Win 10 again.

Please help

benji_3

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016

What about my HDD would I have to uninstall the old OS after I buy the new or no just buy a new one put the key in and that's it ? Also which one would you recommend the OEM version or retail the OEM I can get for like $20 retail $100?

You can try enter the new key under the "activation>update the procuct key" but if you can't you will need reinstall the new OS.
You can get the OEM for less, the retail version is more expensive. But be careful $20 for the OS, it sounds too good to be ture. But if it is the student version, it is good deal.

benji_3

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016

What do you mean by student version? there is an educational version if that's what you mean for $30. The site I get it from is kinguin.net and they offer buyer protection just in case I recommend it. Also, this site I've bought from them before has a great buyer protection (http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Microsoft-Windows-10-Home-32-64bit-Retail-Official-Full-New-D-L-Key-/394488111)