Thinking of upgrading my CPU and motherboard.

Dec 27, 2018
Hey guys, so I recently decided to finally get to rebuilding my PC (hard-drive gave out about twelve months ago) Im currently running a first get i3 (not entirely sure on model i got it given to me about two years ago) I spent about $250 on parts just to get the thing running (250gb ssd, CPU cooler and 2x4gb ddr3 ram) I got home and was so excited to have it going again to of course run into a boot problem after many failed attempts, I realised its because my ram is high density and my build doesn't support it, so I'm now sitting here considering upgrading my whole CPU and motherboard to not have to deal with these dramas again, my question is what's the best CPU and motherboard I could possibly get used? I feel like my head spinning with options. (Don't have a ridiculous amount to upgrade.) I don't need a ridiculously beastly PC just something that can handle some gaming . (especially overwatch :'))

Could you provide a list of all your parts? Need to make sure they’re compatible with a new mobo.