Discussion Thinking of upgrading.

neiru

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I currently have this on my computer. It works well in that I can play most games. Maybe some multiplayer games have stutter/lag. I have also noticed that just viewing youtube takes slightly longer than it used to. I rarely stream, but when I have tried it's usually slow. My mic doesn't work for some reason, I will check the board. So, anything I should upgrade for a modest cost that will extend my computers life? Any recommendations? Thanks. USA.

cpu: amd ryzen 5 1600 6 core processor
mobo: b350 gaming pro carbon
gpu: nvidia geForce gtx 1050Ti
ram: 16 gb
psu: 650 w

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Your motherboard supports up to 5xxx series AMD with BIOS updates. You could update to 32GB+ of RAM. You could upgrade your graphics card (so long as you have an appropriate power supply). You might could consider better/faster storage options according to what you have now.

This system holds a lot of potential for better performance.

anything I should upgrade for a modest cost that will extend my computers life?
"extending your computer's life", probably isn't the term you would want to use.
any hardware can die at any time rather it be brand new or decades old.

maybe "extending your computer's viability in common applications" would be a better idea.

depending on the exact games you play, or may want to play in the future, and what settings(resolution, in-game graphics, etc) you would like to see and what frame rates you would like to achieve would be a large factor here in regards of what to recommend.

i would definitely be looking for a much better graphics card which will need a more powerful power supply.
then though for any high-end gaming you will also need to upgrade the CPU, maybe upgrade the RAM, and get a good SSD for game installations.

Here's some nice upgrades. Just dont buy what you already have or dont need.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($56.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Patriot Viper VPN110 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Walmart)
Total: $821.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-24 21:14 EST-0500

Reactions: GarrettL
What is your budget?

Some games are cpu limited and some are gpu limited.
Multiplayer may need more threads than most.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Reactions: helper800