ThinkPad 8 Tablet With Intel Bay Trail Starts at $400

Status
Not open for further replies.

babosadaltonica

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Not for me. I like big monitors and real estate to have the occasional two windows open at once. Also games are pretty hampered on a tablet. Not a big tablet fan, as you can tell. Why get a tablet+laptop/desktop when you can just have one? I think a laptop is best for most people in terms of cost efficiency and fulfilling needs. I just built a desktop since the small laptop screen was getting lame and I wanted to play real games.

timon_tablet

Honorable
May 15, 2013
ThinkPad 8 is no inbuilt GPS

Retina 1920x1080 is not worth for an 8-inch device, which just leads battery-runtime shorter

timon_tablet

Honorable
May 15, 2013
Windows device's inbuilt GNSS problem ---- Windows Location API & NMEA --- Incompatible

Windows 7 launched over 4 years, however, the two most major maps providers did not provide any app support the Windows Location API, like Google Earth and Nokia Maps OEM licensees (including Streets and Trips), especially Google, sometimes in worldwide's many places just Google Earth/satellitic maps is useful, especially non-cities zone.

The industry's all-purpose standard is with NMEA serial data stream and not a way like the Windows Locator Service. The WLS's information way makes itself difficult to share to other systems, is incompatible.
As yet, at the x86 Windows as we seen of all these external GPS mouses are with the NMEA serial data stream and a virtual COM port, NO Windows GNSS mouse you saw, 4 years!
MS's Vista, Bing, WP, WinRT, these are not successful marker, but the Windows Location API is much worse. Mr. Ballmer Should earlier retire in 2005, not by the time 2014.

But, the PC makers should not be tied a death by MS.

For a GNSS module (BCM4752/BCM47521) no limited to be just a way designable to a Windows sensor API, PC makers can take a flexible design to do it able to be switched dual modes between the NMEA 0183 specs and the Windows location sensor.
It is almost no new parts added on, just new firmware, drivers and a new design.

The design should make an inbuilt GNSS module switchable in between dual working modes:
Mode 1 = an inbuilt USB-based GPS receiver (NMEA 0183)
Mode 2 = an inbuilt Windows GNSS sensor (Windows Location API)
In such a way, you can easier utilize all of the GPS software --- NMEA 0183 specs and Windows Location API.

Also, Can we ask PC markers to offer a update to make up Windows tablet the WLS Sensor changed into an inbuilt USB-based GPS receiver? (That to displace off the old Windows GNSS Sensor way)
For an inbuilt USB GPS receiver is still able to work for the Windows Location API via software, it is just similar to an external GPS. Well then, no problem, never mind of the Windows Location API.

Great to see the tablet market is developing in the right direction. A full fledged PC in such a tiny enclosure ís becoming more and more compelling to me, not only talking of this particular tablet. There has been a lot of great developments in 2013, I'm looking forward to see where it's all heading.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
The Atoms Z3770 clock spead is a 1.46 GHz & a maximum turbo frequency is 2.39 GHz!
Pricing is absurd & Intel can't compete with Arm in price because it's Silver Mont is still 10x A15 sized on silicon!
Gpu is ¼ of HD 4000 & it performance is similar to Adreno 320 - 33% slower then Adreno 330 or 25% slower then tegra4.
Fpu performance is not that much higher than S800 or tagra4, alu performance is much better bat the complete
MMC sosolution is much worse than competing Arm SoCs FPGAs or DSPs so you won't benefit much from Atoms alu performance. Compared to referent tagra4 tablet for $200 this is a clear loser. Compared to Apples A7 soc makes Atom even bigger loser.

DanielsJT

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
It's a Windows 8.1 device, not RT. Runs full version of Windows. Basically, a business-oriented version of their Miix 2 tablet.

asterisx

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I have the thinkpad tablet 2 10" device. Its a really cool device. Windows 8.1 shins on the tablet. This is everything greater than tablet 2 minus the screen size. Btw, bay trail is a very capable processor. You will be amazed by its performance.

asterisx

Honorable
May 12, 2012
@ZolaIII "Gpu is ¼ of HD 4000 & it performance is similar to Adreno 320 - 33% slower then Adreno 330 or 25% slower then tegra4"Hmm. It doesn't matter its a business tablet, not a gaming tablet. Also there aren't any metro games out there which 1/4 HD 4000 can't handle.

Zach Baker

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Yeah but it had THE same CPU as the dell!
And the dell has an 8MP rear camera I believe.
If you are going to claim performance is good or bad, then back it up with some references.

Status
Not open for further replies.